<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 10, 2008

On the matter of "Islamic" debit cards 


Heh:

I’m not a particularly intelligent person, nor a debit card expert nor a banker, so maybe I’m missing something but can someone please explain to me like I’m 4 years old exactly how the Islamic Debit Mastercard is different from every other debit card on the planet? Because my bank’s basic Infidel Debit Visa Card does precisely the same things. It’s like cash, only without other people’s germs on it.

Before you get all "she's Islamophobic" and whatnot, let me remind you of my position on the subject of the mocking of opinions: Religious opinions are no different from any other opinions, and equally subject to mocking. Goofy is as goofy does, whether or not the goofiness is written down in some scripture. Furthermore, we encourage businesses to cater to people who hold goofy opinions, whether those opinions are 14 centuries old or 14 days old. If businesses did not do that, the global consumer economy would not be nearly as entertaining as it is. Of course, we also encourage people to mock businesses that cater to people who hold goofy opinions. Are we clear?

7 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Aug 10, 10:02:00 AM:

And maybe, while we're at it, someone could explain the difference between a kosher hot dog and an Oscar Meyer weiner.  

By Blogger Pile On®, at Sun Aug 10, 10:26:00 AM:

So TH, do you get a lot of comments in Princeton about your Iowa Hawkeyes debit card?  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Aug 10, 11:08:00 AM:

I'm pretty sure the issue has to do with the charging/earning of interest (riba). I think the concept, on whole or in part, is off limits, leading to a necessarily specialized set of financial instruments. Notably, moderate Muslims tend to eschew the prohibition.

Think of it as a kosher credit card.

Would post a link, but I'm on a mobile.  

By Blogger Mrs. Davis, at Sun Aug 10, 11:33:00 AM:

I've seen a Weinermobile. I've never seen a Kosher Kar.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Aug 10, 12:00:00 PM:

While they do not formally charge interest, they generally have charges that are economically indistinguishable from interest.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Aug 10, 01:20:00 PM:

It is the Debit Card of Peace, as opposed to my Satanic Credit Card.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Aug 10, 07:11:00 PM:

I think it's like an Al Gore Carbon Credit card. You get to feel like a Lourdes miracle and Al gets to build his boat.

JC  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?