<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 04, 2004

How to quit your job (if you don't want another one someday) 

There is a resignation letter flashing through big law firm circles that implies just a teensy-weensy bit of frustration. I received it on Tuesday, just a few days after it was written on May 27, but haven't seen it in the blogosphere yet. In any case, I am convinced it is genuine, but will omit the name of the actual writer because I'm just that kind of guy:
As many of you are aware, today is my last day at the firm. It is time for me to move on and I want you to know that I have accepted a position as "Trophy Husband". This decision was quite easy and took little consideration. However, I am confident this new role represents a welcome change in my life and a step up from my current situation. While I have a high degree of personal respect for PHJW as a law firm, and I have made wonderful friendships during my time here, I am no longer comfortable working for a group largely populated by gossips, backstabbers and Napoleonic personalities. In fact, I dare say that I would rather be dressed up like a piƱata and beaten than remain with this group any longer. I wish you continued success in your goals to turn vibrant, productive, dedicated associates into an aimless, shambling group of dry, lifeless husks.

May the smoke from any bridges I burn today be seen far and wide.
Respectfully submitted,
[G.E.]
ps. Achilles absent, was Achilles still. (Homer)

This is definitely going to put a dent in the recruitment efforts of Paul, Hastings. If they are smart they will load up the fun in this year's summer associate program. On the heels of this letter, those summer associates have leverage of the sort that they will not see again for many years. They should enjoy it.

UPDATE: Compare this guy to Scheherazade, who has recently quit her job as a lawyer, perhaps to bless us with her wonderful writing. She quotes a poet named David Whyte, who said that "The soul would rather fail at its own life than succeed at someone else's." G.E. late of Paul, Hastings should exploit his new life of leisure and read her Stay of Execution, which is a wonderful blog and quite different from the others on my link list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?