<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Last Day at DNC (Obama's Speech) 

So, Obama's big speech. Sorry that this post is so late, and news has moved on to Palin and other things by now. Unfettered Internet is difficult to find around here (at my school).

Now, I think I would have a different perspective if I wasn't there. If I had been home watching TV, I might be a lot more critical. However, I mostly have good things to say about it.

On the speech itself: mostly good points. I like how he makes climate change (and other doomsday prophecies like overpopulation) a side issue. He mentions it almost as an afterthought. I think that's a good move, not only considering recent data, but also that if he aligns himself with the people on the fringe, he will inevitably join them on the fringe. He mentioned his years of public service, and his selfless act of living on the south side of Chicago. He talked about his health care plan, and the crowd seemed to like this the most out of everything he said. All in all, not terribly crazy ideas/goals.

When he mentioned his respect for John McCain and how he deserves the respect of the country for his honorable service, most people in the stadium clapped, but I didn't hear anybody cheer. He acknowledges that John McCain wants what's best for the country and knows that John McCain has good intentions.....BUT.....he will take the country in what Obama believes to be the wrong direction.

On the giver: Obama is very, very articulate and extremely charismatic. While I was left thinking, "There's no way he'll do ALL of this." and "How the heck will he pay for the things he'll do?" he also gave the sense of knowing exactly what the problems are, and that they need someone to actually solve them, rather than letting time take its course. I believe Dad said that it was the usual Democratic routine, but he put it in it's most digestible form.

I think that he'll have to reach out to Republicans a bit more, though. He's preaching to the choir, which is the same mistake that Kerry made. He's trying to convince people to believe things that they already believe in, when he should be c

Confession time: I want him to win. I want to give him the chance to prove whether or not he can deliver even half of the things that he says that he will. In my opinion, it's kind of a win-stalemate situation: if Obama wins, then he gets the chance to prove if he can do what he says he can, and he'll have a Democratic Congress to help him get it done. (disclaimer: I still don't trust Congress in the slightest.) On the downside, I fear a Democratic Congress and White House as much, if not more, than the same in control by Republicans. If John McCain wins, then his power will be balanced by a Democratic Congress.

To end, some humor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65I0HNvTDH4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?