<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 03, 2005

Drew Tate 

 Posted by Hello

Receiver Warren Holloway and quarterback Drew Tate combined on a 56-yard touchdown pass-catch-and-run in a win-or-lose situation on the final play of the 11th-ranked Hawkeyes' stunning 30-25 victory over No. 12 Louisiana State at the Florida Citrus Bowl.

All or nothing. One shot. Sophomore quarterback passing to a senior receiver who came into the game with zero career touchdown receptions.

Greatest finish in Iowa bowl history?

"Hard to argue against it," Iowa's 63-year-old defensive coordinator said.

Greatest catch?

"I don't know how you could write a better script," Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said after the walkoff touchdown. "I don't know if anyone would believe you if you did."

I'm still not over it.

'Nuf said.

3 Comments:

By Blogger Charlottesvillain, at Mon Jan 03, 09:39:00 AM:

The "Holloway Play" was incredible, but we're starting to expect this kind of thing from Drew Tate. He had numerous other improbable plays over the course of the season. Several weeks back I posted that he reminded me of Doug Flutie, but I was interested to hear commentators over the weekend comparing him not to Flutie but to Fran Tarkenton. It will be very interesting to watch Tate develop over the course of his remaining two seasons. He is not a prototypical QB, but he does seem to have that special something.

Speaking of Flutie, I've also seen comparisons of the Holloway Play with Flutie's miracle game winning touchdown throw against Miami in 1984. A critical distinction is that the Flutie play was, by design, a desperation Hail Mary with receivers bunched in the endzone hoping to grab a rebound. The Holloway Play was a designed pass play. Holloway was the third option and slipped through broken coverage. He caught the ball on the 16 yard line and if he'd been tackled there the game would have ended very differently.  

By Blogger Pile OnĀ®, at Mon Jan 03, 02:56:00 PM:

Congratulations on the win, it is difficult to beat a SEC team in a bowl game, and it was durn exciting.

I love College football, but I must admit a feeling of emptiness, for the first time in well over my lifetime my school couldn't scratch out 6 lousy wins. The Nebraska tradition might be dead.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 03, 07:06:00 PM:

And I thought smacking Florida around last year was exciting. This was the best Iowa game I have ever seen and I stand by my prediction that Drew Tate will lead Iowa to some great things over the next few years.

Glad you share a great win.

Scott @ POV  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?