<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The great balancing act 

I am not a Starbucks customer like TH, but I do enjoy my coffee. I like a lot of it, black and strong. People at my office snigger at me because I have installed my own coffee pot at my desk. While they line up at the sleek Euro pod machine, waiting for their measley 2/3 of a cup to emerge, I'm brewing up 2/3 of a pot of rich dark roast, which I consume over the next two hours or so.

Regular readers might have noted that I also am a big fan of high proof brown liquors, so you can imagine my glee to encounter this story this morning:

CHICAGO – Coffee may counteract alcohol's poisonous effects on the liver and help prevent cirrhosis, researchers say. In a study of more than 125,000 people, one cup of coffee per day cut the risk of alcoholic cirrhosis by 20 percent. Four cups per day reduced the risk by 80 percent. The coffee effect held true for women and men of various ethnic backgrounds.

It is unclear whether it is the caffeine or some other ingredient in coffee that provides the protection, said study co-author Dr. Arthur Klatsky of the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research in Oakland, Calif.

Naturally all articles about health related topics are required to include the politically correct disclaimers, and this one is no different.

Of course, there is a better way to avoid alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, Klatsky said.

“The way to avoid getting ill is not to drink a lot of coffee, but to cut down on the drinking” of alcohol, he said.

Spoil sports.

1 Comments:

By Blogger Sissy Willis, at Tue Jun 13, 10:17:00 AM:

I'll drink to that. :)  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?