<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 12, 2006

Running a Triathlon 

My wife and I ran a triathlon together this past weekend. It was our first. For anyone who might have an interest in this subject or has given it some thought, it can be a significant personal physical and mental challenge. Why did we decide to do this? It has something to do with turning 40 and testing certain limits. Let me just say that it was very demanding, and successful completion provided a great deal of exhilaration.

A few specifics. We ran what's called an olympic distance triathlon - swim 1 mile, bike 40k and run 10k. The course was very hilly. And the most significant challenge? 54 degree air temperatures, 58 degree water, heavy rain and 25mph winds. Had we already done one of these things, we probably would have taken the day off. But since it was our first, we were committed. You can't train for it, and then not do it due to weather.

If you are a strong swimmer, you have an important tactical weapon in your hands. Sadly, I am not. And while I had trained to swim pretty effectively, the plan went out the window upon contact with the enemy. Every stroke was hyperventilating agony. I had every bad thought you can imagine - quit, cheat, die, whatever. But I scratched and clawed my way to the end. It would be wrong to say I swam freestyle. I did whatever "stroke" was required to survive: backstroke, doggy paddle, whatever, to get to the end. Your experienced friends will warn you about bumping and jostling and getting overswum when you hit the water. Nothing can prepare you for the chaotic reality. And it was colder than any water in which I have ever swum (?), which fed the hyperventilation. Those types who train in cold water will confirm. Swim = awful.

The bike is my strength. I enjoy it, I am pretty fast and am an effective climber. Having said that, the swim took so much out of me, I lost some mojo and was slower than I would have liked. And then there was the wind and rain. I felt like a sail. Notwithstanding the conditions, I was happy with my bike. Bike = okay to good.

Typically, running is not my strength. And yet for some reason, this turned out to be my most effective performance. I had recovered from the swim torture, and had a nice transition to running off the bike -- no leg cramping or anything debilitiating. Mustering a strong finish made the event a success for me and contributed to a genuine euphoria. It also allowed me to contemplate another olympic or maybe even a half ironman. Run = very good.

In addition, doing this together with my wife was excellent. Training, mental preparation and mutual support created a "new thing" to bond over, which after 21 years (15 married) is a powerful thing. Thankfully, her performance was very strong and exceeded her expectations -- so she is happy. If she wasn't, then maybe this wouldn't have been such a good idea. Husband/readers will identify with that, I am sure.

For those who aren't interested in this sort of thing, sorry for the exercise (NPI) in self indulgence. If anybody is thinking about doing it and has questions, bombs away...I do recommend it.

8 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jun 12, 12:33:00 PM:

Congratulations to you and your wife on finishing your first Tri with less than perfect conditions! But that is one thing you will learn about triathlons...something is always less than perfect be it the weather, the course, flat tires, equipment problems and etc. All part of the challenge.

I'm an "age grouper" triathlete who does mostly 1/2 IM's...just did the Honu Half in Hawaii. If you and the wife want to do a great 1/2 IM, I can't recommend the Big Kahuna Tri in Santa Cruz Calif too highly. Weather in the mid 70's, light breezes, beautiful coastal bike and run. Makes for a great vacation too. Sept 10 this year.

Enjoy your site and view it nearly daily. Keep up the good work and keep training!  

By Blogger Cardinalpark, at Mon Jun 12, 02:12:00 PM:

Robert - thanks for the nice words and advice. What do you mean by "age grouper?

I think a half would be do-able, but I will stick to warmer waters than northern California. I lived out there for awhile and enjoy Santa Cruz, Capitola, Monterey, Carmel etc. Hawaii would be nice. There are a couple in Florida that might get my attention...we'll see. Next mission is another olympic, probably in september. then we'll see how the work calendar looks and maybe take a run at a 1/2IM.  

By Blogger Gateway Pundit, at Mon Jun 12, 02:26:00 PM:

Congratulations! Very cool.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jun 12, 03:47:00 PM:

"Age grouper" means I'm SLOW. Actually, while I am not fast, it just means anyone that is not a pro. Certain races, mostly full IM's and some 1/2 IM's, are "qualifiers" meaning if you finish in the top 2-5 of your age group, such as 40-45 Males for me, then you get a spot at the Ironman Championship in Hawaii.  

By Blogger cakreiz, at Mon Jun 12, 04:01:00 PM:

Congrats. The 1 mile swim and the 40k bike sound like ass rattlers. I just did a duathlon with an 18 mile bike & a 10k run. Running's easy; the bike sucked. Can't imagine swimming that far. Good grief.

Especially like the shared joint effort with your bride. Most excellent.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jun 12, 04:23:00 PM:

How do you run a triathlon? Do you run in the pool, and run alongside your bike, too?

Sorry, couldn't resist......  

By Blogger Cassandra, at Tue Jun 13, 04:36:00 AM:

Wow. I'm impressed!

I used to run a lot when we lived in California and almost enjoyed it - it was right before I turned 40 too, so there must be something about that milestone that eggs you on.  

By Blogger Unknown, at Tue Jun 13, 02:13:00 PM:

Try some sprint tri's (1/4 mile or 1/2 mile swims) to get better at swimming... pool laps cannot prepare you for race conditions. Tri's can be addictive.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?