<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 14, 2005

Working harder for grandma 

The next time you see some "greatest generation" type with a bumper sticker that says "Spending my children's inheritance," remember that today the federal government announced that next year Social Security recipients will receive a 4.1% increase. This compares to a 2.4% average increase in the salary and wages for private sector employees. Setting everything else equal -- that is, pretending for a moment that the elderly are not increasing as a percentage of the total population -- we are through our public policy transferring even more income to retired folks.

Just sayin', is all.

1 Comments:

By Blogger Counter Trey, at Fri Oct 14, 06:04:00 PM:

TH,
I hear ya; it's not fun to think that our generation (or at least our ten-year slice of the baby boom gen) has been getting screwed.

However, whenever I start to feel that way, I think of what my father's generation (WWII) did to save the planet and I think that they're the ones who got ripped off; the money their government has paid to them doesn't even come close to compensating them for what they went through.

I would feel a lot better if social security was completely privatized and the money saved went to a huge increase in pay and benefits for all of our soldiers, past and present.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?