<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I am an idiot 

(Via BlackBerry)

It is a symptom of our flamboyant world that there is almost nothing more
stressful than the loss of one's computer bag. So imagine my state last
night when I realized I had done just that. I had ridden a Boston taxi out
to Winchester and contrived to leave my black bag with laptop and other
assorted (but illiquid) valuables in the trunk. In twenty years of business
travel I have never done such a fool thing, but that didn't make me feel any
happier about it. Arrgghh!

Once I got back from the gathering (a party involving about thirty
neurosurgeons, all of whom were very sympathetic) I called the various cab
companies in Boston, each of which reported the same thing - that the driver
is supposed to turn lost items into the police, who operate a central lost
and found just for such purpose. Unfortunately, nobody answers the phone
there outside of business hours, so I had to spend the night twisting in the
wind.

This morning, however, the sun rose on me, notwithstanding the gray weather.
I checked my voicemail at the office, and there was a hangup message from a
Boston number (gotta love voicemail caller I'd!). I called the number, and
it was indeed the house of the taxi driver, who agreed to bring the bag by
the hotel when he gets on this shift this afternoon. There will be a reward
waiting for him. With any luck, I will have it by the end of the day. At
least if Mr. Katema keeps his word.

Blogging will be, er, "light." Or at least linking, which I cannot do from
the Blackberry.



UPDATE (5:30 pm): Idiocy redeemed! The honest cabbie returned my bag as promised. The relief is palpable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?