<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 08, 2005

A few words about rum 

Rum is important in my family. My wife's cocktail of choice is a rum and tonic with lime and when I periodically stray from good bourbon, chances are I'll be pouring a nice dark rum over cubes.

We've tried most of them, from the universally available to the rare and obscure.

After some years of experimentation, we have settled on the fine Gosling's Black Seal as our "house" rum. It is an exceptional dark, Bermuda rum that mixes well with tonic, juice, and especially ginger beer. It's pretty good straight up as well. It is reasonably priced, and not terribly hard to find in good liquor stores. (It is, however, surprisingly hard to find in bars, a fact that has caused me to harangue bar management on more than one occasion.)

When I can find it, I also stock Pusser's British Navy Rum, which I very rarely mix with anything but ice or water. Pusser's has the distinction of being the rum provided to the Royal Navy during the years when grog was part of a seaman's daily ration. It is also a delicious and very distinctive dark rum, but difficult to find. (For awhile Pusser's pushed a red labeled rum that was lighter than the original, but that was a bad idea that I believe went the way of New Coke.)

When honeymooning in Barbados many years ago, my wife and I tremendously enjoyed the local Doorley's rum, which was mixed into the endless punches that form the foundation of any decent island vacation. Never having encountered it and thinking it good, we returned with several bottles and nursed them along for many months before the last ran dry. I fruitlessly looked for Doorley's here in the states, but it apparently was not exported, Mount Gay being the Barbados rum that most people recognize.

While in NYC last week I made a point of stopping by Astor Wines and Spirits on Astor Place, a great liquor store. They had no Pusser's but there in the rum section was a bottle of Doorley's XO. I was so excited I nearly dropped the bottle of Old Raj Gin I was holding (which would have been a very expensive crime) and of course bought a bottle.

As this was sort of a honeymoon thing, I am waiting for my wife's return from vacation to crack the bottle, and so cannot vouch for this particular blend. Just seeing the label warmed my heart, and if it approaches the quality of what we drank in Barbados 12 years ago, Doorley's XO should be a winner.


8 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Aug 08, 04:35:00 PM:

As you know, President Bush has nominated John Roberts - a clear opponent of Roe v. Wade and a woman's right to choose - to the U.S. Supreme Court.

I urge you to contact your Naral Pro-Choice state affiliate to find out ways you can work in your community to block John Roberts' confirmation. To find out how to contact your local affiliate, go to www.ProChoiceAmerica.org.

There is no time to lose. The Senate will soon begin John Roberts' confirmation hearings, and your initiative and leadership can win the battle.

This battle to stop John Roberts is just the beginning of a four-year campaign to prevent George W. Bush from stacking the Supreme Court with enemies of reproductive freedom. Victory now is an absolute must - to show that the pro-choice movement has the ability to defeat future nominees who pose an obvious threat to Roe V Wade.

Call your Senator and let him/her know you want to stop John Roberts- (202) 224-3121

www.StemPAC.com  

By Blogger Charlottesvillain, at Mon Aug 08, 04:43:00 PM:

Wow, what brought that on?  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Mon Aug 08, 05:22:00 PM:

To be sure, rum and SPAM is a poor combination.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Aug 08, 05:22:00 PM:

Wow, what brought that on?

The rum!

(Rim-shot)

Sorry,

Rob A. (FWF)  

By Blogger Charlottesvillain, at Tue Aug 09, 05:03:00 PM:

I've tried most of those. You've listed some excellent rums. I love every Appleton I've tried, but I find the Haitian rums not to my taste.

There is a very interesting rum produced in India called Old Monk. Very sweet, a good punch rum.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Oct 06, 03:29:00 AM:

Good Marketing information.

Advanced Business Marketing

More business marketing information you can use.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 30, 06:15:00 PM:

Hey - was just crusing for a recipe for Jaeger Tee and ended up here.

When I saw that it was by someone with an interest in rum I had to read it to the end.

I take it you are American judging by the place names and general comments.
Being a Dane Living in New Zealand I have no idea about the price range for various stuff.

However - my saying is if it is good you should buy it and enjoy it - goes for wines, cognac and single malts as well - don't listen to poncy ass'es - go by your tastebuds.

Hence my recommendation would be Metusalem 15 year old - it is ambrosia - my friend.
You drink it nice and neat no water and no ice and it is just yummi.

Now, I noted that you enjoyed your rum with ice-cubes - I would recommend you would leave out the ice - since it reduces/kills the aromatic oils that contain the flavous - you will find without ice you get a completly different taste - it is the same with you bourbons or single malts.
But is that is how you like your drinks then that is the way you like them.

cheerio,

Great Dane  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Nov 06, 06:58:00 AM:

We specialize in laptop battery,laptop AC adapters. All our products are brand new, with the excellent service from our laptop battery of customer service team.
the most convenient and cheap replacement battery online shop in uk. We specialize in laptop batteries,laptop AC adapters.
All our laptop AC adapters are brand new, with the excellent service from our customer service team.
the most convenient and cheap battery online shop in uk.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?