<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 07, 2005

British professors propose a litmus test 

Israeli academics who refuse to condemn their government's actions in the occupied territories risk a boycott by the UK's leading lecturers' union....

The union voted against an academic boycott policy two years ago, but campaigners believe the motions are more likely to be passed this year...

British universities will have to decide on their legal position should the boycott become widespread. No academic or institution has been charged with breaking anti-discriminatory laws for refusing to work with an Israeli.

In autumn 2003, Oxford University suspended Andrew Wilkie, a professor of pathology, for two months after he refused to accept an application from an Israeli student for a PhD because he had a "huge problem" with Israel's treatment of Palestinians.

Mona Baker caused an international row in 2002 when she sacked two Israeli academics from the board of a translation journal she edited, citing the boycott.

She was cleared of breaking any rules in an internal inquiry by her employer, the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology.

Link, via Andrew.

The British professors do not impose their litmus test on non-Israelis who refuse to condemn the policies of the government of Israel (or any other government, for that matter). Any British professor -- indeed, any professor from any country in the world except Israel -- is outside the scope of the proposal by its terms. Only Israelis are subject to a political test.

If the Union were actually interested in establishing a political test for its speakers it would impose that test regardless of nationality. The Union's proposal is racist, rather than merely silly, because it imposes a political test only on Israelis.

That this proposal is racist is beyond dispute. Any professor who votes for this proposal is either anti-Semitic or so irretrievably mutton-headed that he or she should be removed from the academy as an embarrassment. There is no third possibility.

4 Comments:

By Blogger Solomon, at Fri Apr 08, 11:21:00 AM:

I think you've gotten to the crux of it. The degree to which these "academics" are behaving like outright Stlinists is just surreal.  

By Blogger Solomon, at Fri Apr 08, 11:21:00 AM:

"Stalinists", that is.  

By Blogger Solomon, at Fri Apr 08, 12:11:00 PM:

BTW, does Juan Cole know about this? I wonder what he thinks.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Oct 08, 06:18:00 AM:

How much is your time worth?? And how much of it do you spend on trying to get other sites to link to your site or searching out relevant blogs and posting comments just so you can get a link back to your site one at a time?

What if you could automate all that?


Imagine a tool that would:


• Take in keywords you enter OR pull keywords from Google Sandbox or Overture.

• Use those keywords to find relevant blogs on blogger.com.

• Automatically post your comments to those blogs, including that all-important link back to your site.

• Skyrocket your link popularity!


Sound too good to be true? Well, Blog Link Generator actually does just that!


Think about it. Everybody knows blogging has surpassed e-zines and articles in terms of popularity. Blogs are where people go to get the real scoop on what's going on in today's Internet world. And there are millions of blogs.

What if you could get thousands of blogs linking back to your site just by using Blog Link Generator to post your comments for you?

Now I'm not talking about junk comments- I'm talking real personal comments just like the one's you now post..

What do you think that would do for your site traffic…$$$!!!

So what do these automated messages look like? Well, they include the keyword you used.

They look like this:

"I just came across your blog about **keyword** and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about **keyword** so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"


The second **keyword** token in the text above will contain a link back to your web site!

Blog Link Generator automatically replaced **keyword** with the list of keywords in the software that are revelant to your site!

Is that powerful or what!

Running down blogs and posting to them can eat your time

It could take you hours a day to find relevant blogs and post a comment with a link. Not to mention the carpal tunnel syndrome and eyestrain you’ll get.

I’ve been there. I used to spend, like, six hours a day getting keywords from Google Sandbox and Overture, then hunting down blogs with those keywords, and posting comments with a link back to my site.

Then, I got an idea.

I spent a week writing down how much time I spent doing all that blog stuff, then I looked at what my site was bringing in. Know what I was making per hour?

$10.

That’s right, $10 an hour. I could’ve made more working fast-food.

At that point, I realized there had to be a better way—I had to automate this process if I was ever going to make it pay off.

My requirements: I needed something that would automatically:

1. Take my keywords or keywords from Google Sandbox or Overture.
2. Find blogs with those keywords.
3. Post a comment to those blogs that includes the keyword.
4. Include a link back to my site in the post.
5. Increase the heck out of my site traffic.

So, in desperation, I called a software developer friend of mine. There had to be a better way. And there was! (And no, I will not divulge his name. I’ve got him working on a new project, and he’s so good, he’d be stolen instantly.)

After extensive research, he figured out what needed to happen and he went to work. He developed the tool Blog Link Generator. It finds revelant keywords, finds the blogs, and then posts a personal comment right from me!

Each post contains links back to your site, so when the spiders find the posts they love so, they also find YOUR SITE!


The result? Your site gets listed WAY UP HIGH in the search engines without you having to write a word of content!

But don’t take my word for it, here’s what customers from all over the country are saying about this unique Blog Link Generator:  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?