Monday, October 11, 2010

News you can use: Survival advice 

Can you really say you are as prepared as you ought to be until you have studied this Amazon list of books on survival?


By Anonymous Steve Skubinna, at Mon Oct 11, 11:04:00 PM:

During the runup to 2000 I was working in IT and would sometimes get asked about Y2K. I nearly always blew my credibility by starting out saying "First, it isn't going to be a big deal."

Yeah, who was I to dispute what lots of extermly sooper-smirt peepul had to say on the topic, like journalists with no particularly deep knowledge (not even much of a shalow one), or luminaries like Gillian Anderson, Sooper Jenius.

But if I retained any shred of credibility I'd tell people to keep bottled water, candles, matches, and oil lamps, canned food, extra batteries, blankets, and other generic aticles. They'd ask if I really thought they'd need that for Y2K and I said "No, you should ALWAYS keep survival material on hand for a four to five day outage, depending on where you live." Most people were puzzled, at least the urban dwellers. Power or water go out, and almost immediately a truck is dispatched by the city to fix it.

Those who lived in rural areas, as I did, knew better. It doesn't have to be Y2K or the killer asteroid or the zombie apocalypse, it's only good sense to prepare for disruption of service. Nobody can predict a Katrina, but you can mitigate its effects. After it hits is too late.

Incidentally, a few years later an unseasonably rough snow storm hit Western Washington and my area in the sticks was without power for a day and a half. Seattle lost electricity for much longer - some parts didn't get it restored for a full week. So much for the benefits of urban living - but even then, my experience is that rural Americans are much more self reliant and prepared for a worst case scenario.  

By Blogger JPMcT, at Tue Oct 12, 07:25:00 AM:

Heh...I don't see anything on the list about buying gold!  

By Blogger Dawnfire82, at Tue Oct 12, 10:28:00 AM:

In a survival situation, I don't think I would accept gold as payment for anything. Fuel, ammunition, and women! Didn't you see Mad Max?  

By Blogger JPMcT, at Tue Oct 12, 11:01:00 PM:

That's basically how the world works NOW!!  

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?