<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 05, 2009

Reading Tebow: College football and biblical verse 



Tim Tebow, Florida's star quarterback, has written "John" on his right cheekbone and "16:33" on his left. In the King James version (the only edition of the Bible permitted at my father's funeral), John 16:33 says this:

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I admit, I do not do well with poetry, lyrics, or scripture, but I presume that "I have overcome the world" refers to Florida's unbeaten record and #1 ranking. Is this the Biblical talking of trash? Any more diligent Christians out there want to offer a competing theory?

Note that last year Tebow sported John 3:16, which is generically Christian and a lot more modest:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Going unbeaten changes a man, but he's behind at halftime. The Gators could use a little "touchdown Jesus" this evening.

7 Comments:

By Anonymous Coach Paul, at Sat Dec 05, 06:07:00 PM:

I believe you've transposed the cheekbones, TH. Or perhaps that is the meaning of "turn the other cheek."  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Sat Dec 05, 06:31:00 PM:

Good point. I've always been much too subjective. I'll fix it immediately!  

By Anonymous ew, at Sat Dec 05, 06:40:00 PM:

Sally says she thought that was called a little Hail Mary.  

By Blogger Mark Tempest, at Sat Dec 05, 07:07:00 PM:

Me? I want linebacker who has "Stop You" under his eyes . . . and in his heart.  

By Anonymous JSF, at Sat Dec 05, 07:12:00 PM:

Tim who?  

By Blogger Assistant Village Idiot, at Sat Dec 05, 08:33:00 PM:

I think it's unlikely Tebow intends that meaning. We evangelicals tend to lean pretty heavily on the "this world is difficult, but temporary" angle of things.

wv: emoses. That must mean something.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Dec 07, 02:42:00 PM:

I agree with AVI.

The concept is that Christ's victory over the world enables Christians to endure worldly tribulation from a different, and eternally grounded, perspective (particularly in light of the union of the believer with Christ). If anything, this is the scripture choice of a man who anticipated getting thumped by the Tide.

--ScurvyOaks  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?