<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farrah Fawcett and the end of the 1970s 


I almost never think much more than "huh" when some celebrity dies, but I confess to some wistfulness on hearing of Farrah Fawcett's death this morning. If you are a man of a certain age, she was your first pin-up love, and no woman's look more iconically expressed the style, such as it was, of the 1970s. Her casual and affecting willingness to go without a bra did not hurt, either.

Farrah, rest in peace.

MORE: I'm having my more usual reaction to this news.


8 Comments:

By Anonymous feeblemind, at Thu Jun 25, 02:26:00 PM:

I had the red swimsuit poster on the wall in my dorm room. We just got a little older TH. Sigh...  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jun 25, 03:04:00 PM:

We loved her well.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jun 25, 03:44:00 PM:

She caught my eye when I first walked down the hall of Hamlin Junior High in Corpus Christi, Texas. I knew of her also in high school and at the University of Texas. None of this is to imply she knew who I was.  

By Blogger JPMcT, at Thu Jun 25, 05:44:00 PM:

I'm surprised that there is no mention about HPV vaccination programs...since the incidence of anorectal cancer is related to the infection. I guess it will come after a week or two.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jun 25, 07:22:00 PM:

Too much buttfucking.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jun 25, 10:16:00 PM:

And we have our first candidate for deletion, right up there ^  

By Blogger JPMcT, at Fri Jun 26, 07:08:00 AM:

Yeah...I didn't mean to solicit that comment, but the papilloma virus can be adquired in lots of other ways...and it is being implicated in a variety of cancers.

It wasn't a comment on her lifystyle, just an potential opportunity to give a public health problem some sunshine in the media.  

By Blogger Jim in Virginia, at Fri Jun 26, 07:26:00 AM:

Ahem-- let's move back on topic. Rice University, men's residential college, 1975. It seemed every room had the Farrah poster.
Sigh. We're not just old, we're FOSSILS.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?