<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 02, 2009

The world's most fetching dry cleaning ad 


I feel that I am on safe ground declaring this the world's most fetching ad for a dry-cleaner:



AdFreak:

I hadn't heard of Erin Ivey, the "urban folk sweetheart" of Austin, Texas, before seeing this bizarrely perky new dry-cleaning commercial for some joint called Reid's Cleaners. Ivey is certainly a natural at laundry-related advertising. She writes on her blog: "i sold my soul to the sultans of clean. haven't actually seen the ad yet, but i had a blast recording the jingle (written by the brilliant John Mills) and taping the tv commercial in Austin. i kept a video blog through the whole process and will post that here soon. thanks for all your texts and emails about it. it's really me."


I don't know what an "urban folk sweetheart" is (they being three words that barely fit together in the same sentence, much less the same compound noun), and if somebody had asked me to picture such a person I probably would not have conjured up Erin Ivey, but she does pitch a good ad. In any case, there are, I believe, citizens of Austin among our regular commenters. Have you seen her act?

5 Comments:

By Blogger Cas, at Tue Feb 03, 05:55:00 AM:

haven't yet seen her act, but if you know Austin, Tx ( I lived there for three years, and my daughter and grandkids live just south of there now), it almost makes sense...
Austin is one bright "blue" spot in the mainly red electorial map of Texas. Used to feel more like a college town (UT Austin; Hook 'em, Longhorns!) rather than an "urban" city area similar to Dallas-Ft. Worth, or Houston. The Sweetheart part is self-evident, so I'm guessing she sings "folk" songs, which is Austin's version of C&W!  

By Blogger Diane Wilson, at Tue Feb 03, 10:06:00 AM:

I've always preferred the "they got the mustard out" sequence from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  

By Blogger Dawnfire82, at Tue Feb 03, 07:47:00 PM:

Never heard of her, but 1) that's not the type of music that my radio station advertises and 2) I'm not really plugged into the youth/music scene here anymore.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Feb 03, 09:07:00 PM:

Some of the ads are better than the shows. This will definitely gain customers for Reids.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Feb 04, 02:09:00 PM:

That mole has got to go...  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?