<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 13, 2008

Tim Russert and the long arm of a father's reach 


Tim Russert made something of an avocation of fathers and fatherhood, writing a couple of books on the subject and cheerily passionate about dads -- his dad, "Big Russ," and dads in general -- and now he has suddenly died at the very young age of 58 on the Friday afternoon before Father's Day. His death makes me think of my own father, who died not so suddenly nine years and 341 days ago.

Curiously, Tim Russert's death makes me sad. I almost never give the death of a celebrity a second thought, and I did not know until this afternoon that I cared very much about Tim Russert. But nevertheless, there it is. The death of Tim Russert saddens me. I am watching an old interview given by him to CNBC's Tyler Matheson on Father's Day one year ago, and Russert is telling stories about his own father, and I suddenly think that we have all lost somebody special.

Damn. I cannot believe I feel this way.

I am wondering if it has something to do with an email I got this morning from one of our regular commenters, perhaps the most touching message I have ever received in my capacity as a blogger.

Tigerhawk,

My father died last night. Thanks to your blog and the way you shared the memories of your father, I spent a lot more time with him these last few years than I might have. People make a difference, and good people make a good difference. Thanks again.

And thank you for taking the trouble to say so. I was nothing but a conduit for the legacy of my father, and am deeply happy if I have helped to extend his life on earth in a way that has touched another person.

Tim Russert must have had that feeling many times over.

7 Comments:

By Blogger Erica, at Fri Jun 13, 09:46:00 PM:

It makes me inexplicably sad, as well, and to be perfectly honest with you, the news of his passing about ruined my day.

He seemed like a really good guy, and to leave a parent behind, not to mention a young son, and a wife...it's all so heartbreaking.

God rest his soul.

And, might I add: a wonderful post.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jun 13, 11:05:00 PM:

I always liked Tim. Before 2000, he actually appeared to be impartial at all times. However, even after that fateful year, he was, in my mind, the only mainstream media person with even a modicum of fairness built into his style and I will miss his "gotcha" moments on Meet the Depressed. I only hope NBC takes this loss seriously enough and puts someone with sufficient maturity and judgement into that chair.  

By Blogger Jim VAT, at Fri Jun 13, 11:05:00 PM:

My father turns 66 old this year and is, thankfully, in great health. All things being equal, he will probably live another 25 years. Inexplicably, I think from time-to-time what I will say at his funeral. I will not repeat those thoughts here, but a couple of years ago, I wrote a summary (not in a funeral context) to him in a letter for father's day. I wrote about all the great moments we shared growing up and all the things he taught me about being a man. It was one of the best things I did in a long time.

On this father's day, I encourage anyone who loves their father to think about all the moments that they shared with their father and to put them down on paper. Then, send it to your dad. You won't regret it. I don't. Not for a moment.

And when my dad inevitably dies, I will give the most stirring tribute in the history of mankind, that I swear.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Jun 14, 12:26:00 AM:

True, respect for one's father and love of one's father are wonderful things.
But, Tim was a "journalist," and, over time, did what the pimps he worked for told him to do/say. I am confident that tonight, Tim screams and suffers with Stalin, Hitler and Hussein beyond the River Styx.  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Sat Jun 14, 07:31:00 AM:

That was an awfully quick move to the Nazi invocation, at least for a guy as friendly and upbeat as Tim Russert.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Jun 14, 08:09:00 AM:

Holy crap, Anon at 12:26, stop with the histrionics. May the Gods of Compassion forgive you for the lack of yours.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Jun 14, 09:02:00 AM:

Staying above the fray -

Yesterday America lost a guy who really truly believed and lived the American dream. Every promise, every ideal, everything good that America is; was embodied in Tim Russert.

I am also from Buffalo and my parents grew up in the same neighborhood and same street as Russert (Big Russ was a dear friend of my Uncle, VFW Buddies) so my biases are evident. However, my journey from run of the mill Irish Catholic Democrat to an evolved Regan Democarat to Conservatism did not come without a challenge or two from the place of my birth. A guy like Russert in many ways would both infuriate me because I could see those biases working on him at times; while also making me proud when he would turn the heat up on one of his own. As much as we all wish one would turn the screws harder on our foes, and often believe that they seem to turn them harder on our friends; I think Russert was the last journalist who actually tried to play it down the middle.

In Michael Medved's book "Right Turns" he speaks about how his political awareness evolved over time. One of the seminal moments in this evolution was the day he realized that Conservatives believed in the promise of America while the Left focused on all that was wrong with America. I believe that is what brought all of those former Democrats over to a guy like Ronald Regan because he loved America so much. I think the same way about Tim Russert. America not only lost its best and most honest journalist, but she lost her biggest and best cheerleader...

"Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam"

Thanks Tim!  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?