<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 19, 2008

Ouch 


Maybe We Can't:
As the son of a Baptist minister, I can attest that Wright is and was an extreme aberration from how the overwhelming majority of black Christians worship. In church, black people hear about Peter, Paul, Mary, and how to get into heaven. How to forgive. How to love. Not how to vote.

But here was Barack suggesting that Wright's behavior was commonplace in black churches: "I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community." He generalized Wright's ridiculousness to distract from his individual choice to worship under a buffoon for two decades. I have a cousin who attended Wright's church for three weeks and then left, never to return. She had no interest in hearing his nonsense from the pulpit.

Barack obscured the true nature of black religious life because, to do otherwise, he would have had to answer the question, "Why are you a member of a church that is this racially divisive and such a sharp aberration to how the rest of black people worship?" When Barack beautifully suggested that the beliefs pronounced from the pulpit of Trinity in Chicago are not uncommon, he was feeding us garbage. But Barack needed to protect his reputation as a race-healer and unifier, so he told a lie about black religious life to help keep the glow of his own reputation alive. And now the evidence suggests that Barack didn't, in the end, break with Wright over his outrageous racial claims, but over his suggestion that Barack is just a politician.

That so many people have a stake in ignoring these real concerns is troubling. At least the Hillary supporters I know seem to be aware of her more unsavory traits: that she carries a knife with her that she could pull out at any minute. Not so with Obama's fans. It's nearly impossible to get them to admit any wrong in him. Given the choice, I prefer to side with the group that knows their candidate can be a jerk, rather than the group that believes their candidate is Jesus.


10 Comments:

By Blogger Gordon Smith, at Mon May 19, 07:11:00 PM:

Georgia Republican Party chairwoman Sue Everhart said Saturday that the party's presumed presidential nominee has a lot in common with Jesus Christ.

"John McCain is kind of like Jesus Christ on the cross," Everhart said as she began the second day of the state GOP convention. "He never denounced God, either."

Who thinks what, Dreck? Calling over half of all democrats delusional has a whiff of cultism itself.  

By Blogger Andrew Hofer, at Mon May 19, 08:47:00 PM:

It's a quote, dude. Follow the link - McCain is not the author's candidate.

Besides, I do think Republicans are often cultish.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon May 19, 09:26:00 PM:

One word: He-doesn't-know-what-the-heck-he's-talking-about.  

By Blogger Purple Avenger, at Tue May 20, 12:00:00 AM:

The buyer's remorse over Obama is going to be crushing. He's a talker, not a deliverer. This trait is plain as day to anyone who analyzes his handwriting.  

By Blogger davod, at Tue May 20, 05:40:00 AM:

The moment I heard Obama say the "I could no more disown" I knew he had just set back Black/White relations by at least a generation. That he did it for politics was despicable.

That the MSM and other commentators used the speech to suggest Obama was the next Lincoln or MLK was ridiculous.

Hopefully, most blacks and whites will come to realise that Obama and his MSM lapdogs were wrong.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue May 20, 10:36:00 AM:

GREGORY RASPUTIN+JEREMIAH WRIGHT=EVIL  

By Blogger Catchy Pseudonym, at Tue May 20, 11:15:00 AM:

You guys still going on about this?

What a cartoonish view of Obama supporters.

I also never knew how many Republicans actually love Hillary. To bad you won't have a chance to vote for her.  

By Blogger Andrew Hofer, at Tue May 20, 12:01:00 PM:

You guys still dropping in on us, misreading posts and making asses of yourself with attempts at condescending one liners?

You guys sure do like non-liberal blogs. Too bad you never read 'em.  

By Blogger Catchy Pseudonym, at Tue May 20, 04:06:00 PM:

Uh oh I've made poor Mr. Dreck angry. My apologies. I read all kinds of blogs. Didn't know I was supposed to stick with liberal ones.

I didn't misread your post. I shared my opinion of it. That's what you do with blogs. So I guess you're going to have to learn how to deal with it. Otherwise post on a blog where you can't get feedback.  

By Blogger Andrew Hofer, at Tue May 20, 08:48:00 PM:

You claim not to have misread it, yet you somehow missed that it was a quotation from someone else, even though I said as much above. So it is not, in fact, our cartoonish view of Obama supporters. However, as I also said above, I have a cartoonish view of most identity partisans, and I'm pretty sure you're one of them.

I'm certainly not angry, I'm having a ball. As you are indeed free to make your comments, I can, and will, also a) parody their plonky phrasing and b) point out that, despite the condescension, they betray a lack of thought or reading.

Hey, I guess you'll just have to learn to deal with it!  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?