<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Annals of advertising: The BSG media buy 


The just-arrived issue of The New Yorker has a two-page spread on the inside of the front cover promoting the final eight episodes of "Battlestar Galactica," which begin airing this Friday. I must confess I am surprised that marketing analytics would indicate that New Yorker readers overlap significantly with BSG viewers. Or maybe I'm not. BSG is, after all, the smartest "sci-fi" show ever,* and New Yorker readers are no slouches either.
_______________________________
*The linked article, by the way, is a very useful primer on the show for those of you who have some catching up to do before Friday.


3 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Apr 03, 12:17:00 AM:

BSG appeals to the same yuppie snobs as New Yorker. So, no big surprise there.

For the anti-BSG, watch History Channel's "Battle 360" with well, real stories about the Enterprise in WWII. Far more dramatic than anything on BSG, and it was real.

Color me unsurprised about the media buy. And unimpressed by either Sci-Fi in general or New Yorker. Both outlets are appealing to the same limited yuppie snobs.  

By Blogger Fausta, at Thu Apr 03, 08:20:00 AM:

Darn it, TigerHawk, now that I can't get my "24" fix, after reading that article I might replace that addiction with BSG, yuppie snob that I am.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Apr 03, 01:03:00 PM:

i love sci-fi but BSG just never seems to do it for me (and i have tried many times). it's about 10 minutes of story and 35 minutes of atmospherics (and of course, 15+ minutes of ads).  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?