<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 16, 2011

From back in the day 


I eat out a lot, especially so in the last few months because I am building a new kitchen and am reduced to a refrigerator, microwave, toaster and coffee pot at one end of my living room. So it was last night, when I ventured forth to find a seat at a bar in town and watch the Packers and catch up on this year's Barron's roundtable (yeah, I'm *that* fun on a Saturday night). Anyway, my favorite places were packed, so I went to the Yankee Doodle Tap Room in the Nassau Inn, which has a decent bar and beer selection but sufficiently lame food that I go there only as a last resort. On that score, I ended up pleasantly surprised, insofar as my cheeseburger was pretty good and the sweet potato fries, which are easy to screw up, were very respectable. So the Tap Room may be pumping out better food, which would earn it a spot in the regular rotation, at least until I get my kitchen back.

The Tap Room has one other attribute, which is that it is lined with photographs of famous Princeton alumni from back in their day. Most of them are, of course, preppy-looking white guys, but there are obvious exceptions:


Michelle Obama in the Yankee Doodle Tap Room


I'm sure most of us regret the hair cut we sported in college.


9 Comments:

By Anonymous E Hines, at Sun Jan 16, 08:18:00 AM:

I eat out a lot, especially so in the last few months...am reduced to a refrigerator, microwave, toaster and coffee pot at one end of my living room. Geez, TH, you just said you had your kitchen at one end of your living room. Why eat out so much? A burrito slapped into the microwave (hand assembled, by me, from a hamburger mix that my wife whips up) and a potful of coffee steadily producing are all that's needful. And a 52" HDTV with which to watch the games.

Omar Khayyam almost had it right: a kitchen, a TV, and my lady beside me....

Eric Hines  

By Anonymous sirius, at Sun Jan 16, 09:00:00 AM:

I would have guessed Angela Davis.

(Right do, but wrong coast.)  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Sun Jan 16, 09:03:00 AM:

@Eric, oh, I make lots of food in the microwave, including such burritos. But I have been living like this since October 23, and it will probably continue until mid to late April. That's a long time. And I do not have to get in my car to eat out -- I can walk from my front door to at least 25 restaurants in under five minutes. And, well, I live without the company of a woman.  

By Blogger Unknown, at Sun Jan 16, 12:51:00 PM:

I dunno, Tigerhawk, that picture of you @ 25 would carry no shame with me (I'm thirty).  

By Blogger Mystery Meat, at Sun Jan 16, 01:11:00 PM:

As Juan Williams famously said, Michelle Obama is Stokely Carmichael in a dress.  

By Anonymous E Hines, at Sun Jan 16, 03:36:00 PM:

@TH, you walk as long as five minutes in that weather!? You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

Eric Hines  

By Blogger K. Pablo, at Sun Jan 16, 07:34:00 PM:

That's at least a smile on her face, instead of that ghastly frigid rictus she's usually frontin'.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 17, 12:51:00 AM:

you know how sometimes when you see a picture, your brain will just start automatically playing a song that you associate with it? like whenever i see shiny 'excalibur'-style armor or chain mail, i hear orff's 'o fortuna' from carmina burana; or whenever i wear my matrix-y black overccat, i feel like (the instrumental version of) rob dougan's 'furious angels' ought to be playing at high volume?

i probably shouldn't say this. i *know* it's wrong, and it's just gonna get me in trouble. but i look at that picture, and so help me, what i hear is rastafarian legend tyrone green belting out his #1 hit. although it's been 25 years or so, the lyrics haunt me to this day....

"killllll the white people....oooh, we gonna make them hurt....killlll the white people..."

oh, don't give me that look. go google "michelle obama carla bruni hate photo", see the pic, and THEN tell me i'm wrong.  

By Anonymous Nassau Inn, at Tue Jan 18, 01:05:00 PM:

Come back again soon! We are constantly running promotions and specials. You can follow us on Facebook to keep up with our specials and promotions.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?