<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Brian Aitken is home 


Brian Aitken, just freed by Governor Awesome, posted the following statement on his Facebook page about five minutes ago:


Hi Everyone,

I wanted to briefly thank a few people individually for all of their hard work--and I couldn't think of a better place to do so than here (my very own Facebook Page, crazy)!

Governor Christie, thank you. Seriously. I understand the risk you assume while making any decision that affects the People of New Jersey and that this was no trivial decision for you. In the days and years that will come to pass I am positive you will find yourself proud of your decision... and if you heard that quote about me running against you for President; I was just kidding. :)

Dennis Malloy, thank you. You've helped deliver an amazing gift this Christmas for a very loving and deserving family. I wouldn't be typing these words right now if it wasn't for you.

Richard Gilbert & Evan Nappen, thank you. You've been amazing counsel through this all and I'm proud to have you represent me in this case.

To the 15,000+ Facebook supporters, thank you. To each and every person who wrote the Governor, thank you. To each and every person who wrote to me and sent me hope... thank you.

To the Soldiers, Airmen, and Marines who wrote me from overseas - thank you for your kind words and your dedication to our country. The work you do amasses a debt that can never be repaid and I am humbled that you supported me from bases and War Zones around the globe. Thank you.

Lastly, thank you to my family, friends and beautiful fiancee. I'm lucky to have you all in my life.

There is a great deal of work yet to be done but, in the meantime, I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas.

My very best,

Brian D. Aitken

And, of course, we are all grateful to the American Civil Liberties Union for standing up for Brian's rights under the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.

Oh, wait. My bad.

7 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Dec 21, 05:34:00 PM:

Out of jail is good, but not good enough in my opinion. As I understand it, he was not pardoned, his sentence was merely commuted. He remains a convicted felon and thus will receive nothing but grief for the rest of his life applying for a job, cannot work at all in certain professions, and cannot purchase or own firearms (the basis of his original conviction) anywhere.  

By Blogger joated, at Tue Dec 21, 06:13:00 PM:

Read somewhere that Christie was never asked to pardon the young man. As it stands, Mr. Aitken can appeal his conviction (and probably win while setting precidents). If he had been pardoned, an appeal would have become moot.

This aint' over. No fat lady singing yet.  

By Blogger Kathy K, at Tue Dec 21, 07:10:00 PM:

A pardon generally presumes guilt. I'm not sure of the NJ laws in this case, but I'm sure the governor knows them.  

By Blogger Milhouse, at Tue Dec 21, 08:27:00 PM:

A pardon does not presume anything. And it wipes away the conviction as if it never happened.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Dec 21, 08:33:00 PM:

All criminal proceedings should be decided by public relations campaigns. It would be so much simpler.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Dec 21, 09:59:00 PM:

To the comment about a pardon not assuming anything, that is technically correct. However, in the real world, anyone could be accurate in making the statement "He was found guilty of criminal weapons possession, and only got off because of the pardon".

So, by commuting his sentence, he can go and possibly win an appeal, and nobody could then say he was guilty, as the sentence was reviewed and overturned on merit.  

By Blogger The Ghost, at Wed Dec 22, 08:17:00 AM:

to anon ...

apparently you are someone who thinks this man should be in jail ...

this was a miscarrige of justice ... and Christie followed the rule of law in commuting his sentance ...  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?