<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 01, 2009

The annual cigar 


Every All Saints Day I smoke a cigar in honor of my father, who was born on this day in 1935. Ideally, the cigar is as cheap as possible, because my father smoked cheap cigars. Lack of quality is important, because it is the smoke that is evocative; the smell of it brings back memories, which is the point. His brand, Garcia y Vegas, are getting harder to find in towns like Princeton, but I was able to grab a low-end Dutch Masters at one of the downtown liquor stores, and it did the trick.

I have written about my father many times; there are links in last year's post, and a video message from me. Most of you have seen them many times, but if you have not I respectfully suggest that the world would be a much better place if more fathers were like mine. For that matter, I wish I were like mine.


3 Comments:

By Blogger Cassandra, at Mon Nov 02, 02:25:00 AM:

Whites were always a bear to keep clean (and... well, white!) but they sure looked wonderful on a man.

Thanks for sharing the photo. And the memories.  

By Anonymous Jim Nicholas, at Mon Nov 02, 08:10:00 AM:

I was born six years before your father was, and so I have had the pleasure of watching grandchildren grow--and, perhaps, helping them at times in the process. I hope that you, too, have that pleasure.

A number of years ago I began a long letter to my grandchildren, with frequent additions through the years, to be read when I am no longer able to write. I can imagine that your blog will serve a similar function for your grandchildren--an opportunity when they are older to re-experience your love and your wisdom that they experienced as children.

Best wishes,

Jim Nicholas  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Nov 02, 08:20:00 AM:

You seem like a pretty damn good father to me. Just sayin.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?