Friday, October 09, 2009
From a certain perspective -- not one I actually agree with on the substance -- Glenn Greenwald's examination of The Prize is among the most principled I have read today.
I support the decision to give Obama this award for two main reasons:
1) It basically exposed what has been evident for quite a while, namely that the Peace Prize decision is all about politics.
2) It gave me a reason to laugh all day long. This story kept me going throughout an otherwise crappy day.
On a more serious note, the fact that those in charge were so forthcoming about their desire to affect US foreign policy has me greatly worried.
I mean what does it say about the world's perception of the US when people think such a blatant scheme will actually work.
I've said this before, but it's worth repeating.
Obama has missed another Carpe Diem moment.
Imagine if he had REFUSED to accept the award, stating simply (and honestly)that he did nothing to deserve it and that there were others who deserved it more than he.
Is there ANYONE who would not have rallied to his side and give him the thumbs up?
Even the liberal press is unable to "spin" this one. It will get even worse when he goes to Norway to accept the prize and the details of those who were turned down for the prize in favor of the feckless Obama come to light.
On the other hand...it really is funny as hell and gave me a good Friday to exchange cynicisms with everybody at the hospital.
I even mentioned to one of my liberal buddies "Boy, you must be riding high today"
His answer (with a smile): "Shut the hell up!!"
Nope, I don't think Barry did himself proud accepting this undeserved adulation from the Eurotrash.
Again, this is all about Barack Hussein Obama Derangement Syndrome, not the Nobel selection committee. Damn that black usurper! Get y'all's country back! (of course it isn't ours too, but tha). But you were reminded that you live in a bigger world. If your seizures were all about the Peace Prize, then you tools would have come forward with someone more deserving. And AGAIN, given that this prize's criteria are peace, building understanding, justice and relieving suffering, the folks on the short are people you'd either HATE or IGNORE or devalue anyway. So, your reaction is both expected and comical. is there anything constructive or critical when you use terms like Eurotrash, or have such a low threshhold for the term "principled?" LOL
As with the election--he won. Get over it. He can use it as a teaching moment and get more people engaged in the noncynical, nonparanoid, nonjingoistic, nonignorance based paradigm we'll need to save this friggin' planet.
The Nobel nominations closed on February 1. The One had been in office for 2 weeks. Regardless of whether you like or support this man, he has hardly done anything yet to deserve the accolade and should have turned it down and stated that he'd be honored to be considered in the future after he's had a chance to actually DO SOMETHING.
Mr. Chambers, I hesitate to even reply to your posts, as you seem so completely entrenched in racial identity politics that reason cannot prevail...but...((sigh))...here goes:
1. Mr. Obama, even of his own admission, does not deserve the Nobel prize....at least according to the "classic" determinations of the prize-winners (ignoring the past few years).
2. The fact that Mr. Obama is black..or half-black...is irrelevant. The majority of Western thought has moved past you, Mr. Chambers. We happily support the words of Rev. King...we judge a man by the content of his character. If I can "get over" the election, you should certainly be able to get over that!!
3. "peace, understanding, justice, relieving suffering"....boy, CC, that sounds great! The only thing missing in the equation is Mr. Obama's lack of accomplishment in any of those spheres.
4. EuroTrash. I stand by the statement. The US has invested heavily in treasure and lives to save Europe. The region now is a largely failing socialist experiment that depends heavily on US protection. It is sadly amusing to see them revile us because we have moved to their LEFT and no longer are willing to be willing babysitters. They ARE trash, Mr. Chambers...and we are rapidly falling into step with them.
5. Why are you unable to give an opinion without such rampant racism and foul language? Are you less capable than those who can articulate on these blogs without such terrible baggage?
Obama packaged himself as the anti-Bush. It won him the 2008 election. Apparently, it won him the 2009 Nobel prize as well ... as the vote was lagged. But "not being George Bush" only gets you so far. We're waking up to the stupidity of our choice ... maybe the Nobel committee will too. Developing ...
-- Sidebar, Once again I'd welcome CC to an honest dialogue about race in America. For openers, Obama isn't "African American." He sold himself as such. He's less "African/American" than any of Derek Jeter, Mariah Carey or Ronnie "Be My Baby" Spector -- who are all half Irish / half real American black. I've been a big fan of Ronnie for years, but had assumed she was NYC Puerto Rican. As I learned her back story recently, I got a kick from the idea that her dad might even have known my dad -- they were both Irish guys who drove NYC buses. That's America ... especially NYC.
I'd also welcome CC engaging me in a dialogue on the specifics of Obama in office ... but I doubt it'll happen. Run away CC, once again.
The Kenyan CAN'T refuse the prize. The Chicago pimps he works for get a piece of every dollar.
And, when will the black racists stop defending against any criticism of this jerk with the shield that he is black.
It has always been my opinion that Obama isn't very bright (why else would he hide ALL his school records)and made it through to graduation because, as Biden said, "he was clean and articulate" and because no ultra-left wing professor would dare hold such a person to any standard.
If I am right, how would you like to be the guy(s) who has been writing all the words and speeches Obama has been getting credit for? There were the rainbow light and unicorn urine fuel speeches of the campaign. They don't work with real problems. Some one writes every word he speaks. Obama's handlers try to limit the times he speaks without prepared text but when he does, he comes off poorly.
So, Obama is getting the credit and his writers, so far, get nothing. Isn't that just like Hollywood?