<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, July 05, 2009

Cut to cure 


I hope everybody out there had a relaxing Fourth of July. Mine was filled with wine and song -- no women, other than the TH Daughter, who accompanied me up to our place in the Adirondacks. I spent the last two days hiking, drinking and shooting the breeze with various of my many cousins (of different degrees of consanguinity), and the TH Daughter did the same, but without the drinking part. That accounts for my absence yesterday.

Back to Sunday morning inbox items. My company sells instruments for surgery, so I have a passing interest in surgical instrument arcana (for instance). Check out this fascinating gallery of "old school" surgical instruments, if for no other reason than to learn the origin of the expression "to blow smoke up one's ass."


3 Comments:

By Blogger Dawnfire82, at Sun Jul 05, 02:09:00 PM:

Poor TH daughter.  

By Anonymous tyree, at Sun Jul 05, 05:11:00 PM:

Just looking at those pictures hurt!

We had a great Independence Day and had a great fireworks display courtesy of Disneyland.  

By Blogger JPMcT, at Sun Jul 05, 09:06:00 PM:

Amputation knives haven't changed that much, except they are now pretty dull since most hospitals can't properly maintain instruments.

I still use sterilized salad spoons to extract substernal goiters. Occasionally we also still use coat buttons as retention discs for complicated wound closures.

On the other hand, we now have bipolar radiofrequency dissectors that I tested out on a major tunor resection last week. Didn't use a single clamp and blood loss was unmeasurable.

I guess we have come a ways.

Hey...whatever works.

Glad you had a good weekend. I was on call. I appreciated the Corona ad with the Blackberry. I was VERY ready for that after four days.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?