<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Was it everything you imagined? 


Regarding the possibility of disingenuous Silda, I beg to differ. It is actually quite common for people to strive mightily for things that ultimately make them unhappy. Humans are screwed up that way.

My mother engages in all sorts of activity that makes her miserable. Every year she has a complete breakdown over a Christmas party. One year, being treated to how the party had ruined her Christmas, I pointed out how unhappy she was and suggested she just stop throwing the party because it makes her miserable.

Eventually, she let me back into the house.


2 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Mar 13, 09:01:00 AM:

I know that Mindles H. Dreck is a pseudonym, so I'll just have to take it on faith that you're not my brother.

Well, also, my mother is Jewish, so it's not a Christmas party... but that anecdote hits frighteningly close to home.  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Thu Mar 13, 09:03:00 AM:

Well, I certainly agree with the general point, although I have generally not had that problem in my life. I am extremely candid about when I do not want to do something, a trait which rankles various people in my family.

That said, any Princeton undergraduate of the early eighties knows about Eliot Spitzer's unquenchable political ambition. Presumably Silda Wall had no illusions about the man she was marrying in that regard. So, then, I suppose your point is that she has long wanted something that does not make her happy. Well, I acknowledge that may be true without being sympathetic.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?