<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 16, 2007

"On this you can bet your stash of primo Afghan hash" 


Gerard Vanderleun lived a few blocks from Bill and Hillary Clinton's Berkeley apartment in the summer of 1971. He remembers those daze days with barely-suppressed nostalgia, and explains why Hillary so quickly rolled back her campaign's off-message snarking about Barack Obama's drug use.

His post is also a useful reminder that the Boomers' journey has indeed been a long and winding road, from "Daze" to "DARE" in a few short decades. Why can't they do anything in moderation?

MORE: Regular commenter SR, who was in Berkeley in 1969, calls bullshit.


4 Comments:

By Blogger SR, at Sun Dec 16, 10:20:00 AM:

What a bullsh*t innuendo article. I graduated from Berkeley in 1969, and was second hand tear gassed frequently (the stuff travels on the breeze just like polltion from China wafting to California). There were plenty of us who were there to go to school and get out as fast as possible without being drafted. I am in no way a Hillary supporter, but that article isn't worth the link TH.  

By Blogger Unknown, at Sun Dec 16, 12:58:00 PM:

I have no idea whatever of the truth of what Vanderleun is writing. However, what SR writes and what Vanderleun wrote are not necessarily in conflict. Here's what Vanderleun wrote:

And I am here to tell you that there was no such thing as an unstoned student activist/hippy living in that neighborhood at that time.

Note that he makes an implicit distinction between the students SR describes who “were there to go to school and get out as fast as possible” and “student activists” who, by definition, were not there solely to go to their classes.  

By Blogger Purple Avenger, at Sun Dec 16, 01:57:00 PM:

Whenever someone asks me if I did any drugs, the answer is "I went to college".  

By Blogger vanderleun, at Sun Dec 16, 09:56:00 PM:

Well, SR my COMRADE! As I may have mentioned I too breathed the same tear gas as you in 1969.

And if you were on Telegraph and Dwight, right up against the Shakespeare and Company bookstore, right under the rooftop where Rector was shotgunned to death by the Oakland cops, then you were close enough to have inhaled. On that day and on other days.

I am prejudiced of course but I do thank Tigerhawk for the link.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?