<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 15, 2007

The subprime mortgage problem explained 


Iowahawk gets to the heart of the subprime mortgage debacle:

When I opened the mail on November 1, everthing started to go downhill. For some reason my house payment had gone up by $700 per month! There was no way I was going to squeeze that onto my plastic. I thought that maybe it was some sort of fat-crazy-chick revenge thing from Linda, so when I called First Coralville to complain I asked to talk to her supervisor. "No, it's not a mistake," says the guy. "You have an adjustable rate mortgage, and it adjusted."

"Ex-squeeze-me?"

"Adjustable rate mortgage, A-R-M," he says. "After the first 6 months, it adjusts up to the prevailing interest rate. You should have realized that, because it's all there in your contract."

Who am I, fucking Oliver Wendell Smallprint? I thought ARM meant "always ready money." I told the dude there's no way I could pay.

Heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?