<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 02, 2007

Walking in the footsteps of the Boss 


Yesterday, it being unseasonably chilly in the northern Adirondacks, we spent the afternoon shopping in Lake Placid. My son stopped in The Bookstore Plus to secure a replacement copy of Inherit the Wind -- one of his summer reading assignments -- and ended up buying three guitar books of the "how to" variety. At the counter the college kid manning the register said "you came to the right place for guitar books -- Bruce Springsteen bought a guitar book here two days ago." I asked if Bruce had a house in the area, and he said no, but that he came up every year for a couple of weeks during the horse show. Apparently his daughters ride competitively. So the working man's hero spends time in Lake Placid each summer watching his daughters compete on what are undoubtedly very expensive horses.

Let's hope, at least, that the Springsteen girls keep clear of dressage. Springsteen's iconic steelworkers would be aghast, at least if they knew what dressage entailed.

Anyway, on hearing about this second-derivative brush with greatness, Mrs. TigerHawk asked the question that I am sure is on all your minds: "Why does Bruce Springsteen need a guitar book?"


2 Comments:

By Blogger Country Squire, at Mon Jul 02, 03:06:00 PM:

TH,

Having seen Mr. Springsteen perform, I can assure you that the guitar book is not for him. I came away from that concert with a new respect for his abilities on the instrument.

Your son’s story reminds me of a similar experience my wife and I had a few years ago. We were in Roscoe, New York to do some fly fishing and stopped in one of the local fly shops to buy our licenses. The owner mentioned that Dan Rather had just been in the store! I spent the rest of the week hoping I would see him so I could yell “What’s the frequency Kenneth?”

Hope you have a wonderful week. We loved the time we spent in Lake Placid.  

By Blogger Christopher Chambers, at Mon Jul 02, 06:08:00 PM:

I dunno TH...Chief "Justice" Roberts might say get crap like "Inherit the Wind" outta schools, libraries...and, in a stunning bit of hypocrisy regarding free enterprise--bookstores. Think it could NEVER happen? (wink).

I'm thinking of an American version of "V for Vendetta," aimed at the Bush-Cheney years. Maybe DC/Vertigo will bite. Would you let your son read that?  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?