<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 23, 2006

In Guilin: The Firewall is higher here 


Well, we're beginning our third day in Guilin, in southern China. Blogging has been a challenge. We have no access from the room, so I can't use my computer or upload photographs. I'm sitting in the lobby using the only computer there until the next guy comes along. The Firewall is higher here -- from Shanghai, I could see Blogspot blogs, but in Guilin they are blocked. Perhaps the powers that be in Shanghai know their people are more sophisticated, or perhaps the Ritz-Carlton has a special "lower Firewall" deal with the government. I am web surfing with the people, here.

Blogger, however, is still available, so I can see the posts that have gone up (thanks, Cass!) from the control panel. Also, I can see TigerHawk via Blackberry -- there must be something about the Blackberry reflection process that circumvents the censors.

And, yes, I do appreciate that endless updates about Internet censorship in China is not all that interesting to the general reader. It is, however, the life I'm leading now.

Yesterday was very busy -- we rode bikes through the countryside, walked two kilometers through a vast cave, and visited a "butterfly preserve". The first two were spectacular -- I'll upload a bunch of pictures at the next opportunity, which will be in about 24 hours at the earliest. Also got an unbelievable "foot massage," which involved a one-hour sustained pounding on my feet and legs, after which I felt wonderful. Oh. And I was the only person at my table to eat the "thousand year old egg."


2 Comments:

By Blogger Kathy K, at Fri Jun 23, 08:15:00 PM:

Good on you with the 'thousand year old egg' - I actually like the things.

One thing I noticed from being in China with my fellow countrymen. A lot of people will love the food - if you don't mention exactly what they are eating...  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Jun 24, 12:55:00 AM:

China's firewall is actually a fascinating and important subject. You're just reporting on the scene.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?