<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 01, 2006

DJ for a day 

I'm a bit of an amateur DJ in my spare time, owning a massive collection of music across many genres, and enjoying mixing music to create certain atmospheres. One of my first purchases after leaving a small New York apartment was a set of professional sound system components, a decision I have never regretted despite the spousal scorn and ridicule that it has engendered.

Back in the fall I spun some tunes at a little wine tasting organized by a friend, and was dismayed in February when I was approached by a couple who had been present at that gathering, and was asked to play at their wedding, specifically a 90 minute cocktail hour preceding dinner. After some thought I agreed to do it mostly for the fun of it, but having no ambitions to be an actual wedding DJ, I laid out my ground rules: no microphone work, and no requests beyond broad genre preferences. They agreed to my terms, so last Sunday afternoon I set up my gear at the Colonnade Club on UVA's lawn. Not including the funky soul I played while the caterers set up, my actual playlist of jazzy cocktail tunes comprised the following:

Samba De Uma Nota So-Sylvia Telles
Silk Stop-Joao Donato
Ayerloom-Roy Ayers
BBQ Man-Sonny Stitt
I'll Be There-Boogaloo Joe Jones
Duffin' Around-Jack McDuff
Afrodisia-Charles Kynard
First Gravy-Leon Spencer
Tittoro-Bobby Montez
Fun at King King-Jump with Joey
Lullaby of Birdland-The Robustos
Provocation-Jump With Joey
Pharaoh's Dream-Hepcat
Dollar Dance-Hepcat
Baby Blues-Hepcat
Cosita Linda-Jump with Joey
Jonah's Pachango-Jonah Jones
Peter Gunn Mambo-Jack Costanzo
A Night in Tunisia-La Sonora Poncena
Always True to You Darling-Peggy Lee
House of Bamboo-Andy Williams
Coming Home Baby-Mel Torme
Sweet Tator Pie-Dave Pike

I've no idea how this was all received (or if it was even noticed, being essentially background music) but I did get some nice comments from the band as they set up across the room. At my own wedding many years ago the band I hired began to play and my father ran to me and my bride and exclaimed in a very loud voice "its every bit as bad as I feared!" For lack of any other benchmark, that that did not occur during my slot on Sunday allows me to consider it a successful gig.

Hey, its just a hobby.

1 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Jul 16, 01:20:00 PM:

To be dj is my life.I am dj.I love my dj.Dj job is my liberty.

animation dj mariage  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?