<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The fantasy based question 

I'm humbled by my co-bloggers today. I think I'll withhold my contemplated post on fine bourbons until things lighten up a bit around here.

For some reason, reading the last three posts triggered a long repressed memory of my AP history class back in 1982. Preparing for Advanced Placement examinations, we routinely had to work on what was called the Document Based Question, which required the analysis of several historical documents to answer coherently.

One day a classmate of mine (who I will say, for Tigerhawk's benefit, hailed from Danville, Illinois) began coming to class early and writing on the blackboard what he referred to as the fantasy based question.

"If the human torch had fought on the side of the British during the Battle of New Orleans, what effect, if any, would that have had on the presidential election of 1828."

That kind of stuff. I remember the fantasy based questions were the source of a lot of fun that year (Back off! It was an all boys prep school. We took it where we found it).

I'm not sure why I remembered this today, but I did.

6 Comments:

By Blogger Cassandra, at Wed Dec 21, 04:52:00 PM:

I wish you *would* post about bourbon. After all my hot air this week, I'm sure a few of TH's readers could use a stiff drink!

Sheesh.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Dec 21, 05:15:00 PM:

Which all boys prep school?  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Dec 21, 07:17:00 PM:

Bring on the bourbon, and toss in some single malts too. Hell, if you're pouring, I'll bring the stogies.  

By Blogger Charlottesvillain, at Wed Dec 21, 10:13:00 PM:

Andy, it is a boarding school near Princeton New Jersey that has been coed for almost 20 years.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Dec 22, 02:55:00 AM:

Heck, you were intellectuals. Can the Thing win a battle with the Hulk if the Hulk isn't too angry? That was the level of our discourse at my public school.

- Levi  

By Blogger Solomon2, at Thu Dec 22, 07:52:00 AM:

I just posted on my latest bourbon purchase myself! I look forward to your blog entry on the subject.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?