<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 04, 2005

The fall season and the greatest characters in television history 

The Tall Glass of Milk has very helpfully organized the season premieres for your favorite television shows into a handy calendar. I'd bookmark it if I were you.

Pending favorable word-of-mouth reviews from trusted friends, the only shows that I care about are House (the best medical show ever, premieres September 13), Gray's Anatomy (September 25), and Boston Legal (September 27). And, I admit it, Desperate Housewives (also September 25).

The fall schedule includes two of the greatest characters in the history of network television -- Hugh Laurie's Gregory House and James Spader's Alan Shore (Boston Legal, via the last season of The Practice). Both are fascinating in their depth and creativity, and both a great credit to the actors who portray them and the writers and directors who shape them.

Who are the other truly great characters in television history? My father, were he alive, would certainly nominate Leonard Nimoy's Spock, who forced us to think deeply about the eternal struggle between reason and emotion in the souls of men, and Alan Alda's Hawkeye Pierce, who made us think about almost everything. Propose your own nominations in the comments.

6 Comments:

By Blogger geoffrobinson, at Sun Sep 04, 09:33:00 PM:

I'm really looking forward to My Name Is Earl. As well as more Family Guy and Arrested Development.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Sep 05, 07:00:00 AM:

Desperate Housewives so soon!!! I am jealous, we won't get it over here in Australia until at least next year I bet :(  

By Blogger MrSurly, at Mon Sep 05, 10:55:00 AM:

Desperate Housewives is must? What about Lost? A way better show centered around a mystery in my opinion.

Gray's Anatomy was ruined for me before I ever saw an episode -- I read the show has no real connection with the reality of medicine -- one can only suspend disbelief to a point. Law and Order and David Kelly's legal dramas usually get it pretty close to right, and I appreciate that. Plus Alan Shore is a great whack job character.

As far as great characters are concerned, I have to mention Homer J. Simpson, one of the great satirical chacacters of all time.  

By Blogger Chris, at Mon Sep 05, 05:35:00 PM:

Right now, I find James Edward Olmos of "Battlestar Gallactica" to be absolutely riveting. Tasked with defending the last remnants of humanity from extinction, he constantly straddles the line between authoritarianism and compassion.  

By Blogger Cardinalpark, at Tue Sep 06, 03:24:00 PM:

Here are some other ideas:

1) The Bill Cosby character in I-Spy (I think the first african american costar)

2) Archie Bunker as the great unwashed blue collar everywhiteman from yesteryear

3) Dr. Huxtable (yes, cosby again)

4) Sam Malone

5) Lucy Ricardo (talk about empowering women) and Ricky Ricardo, the successful hispanic immigrant entrepreneurial enertainer)

6) Jack Tripper - a straight guy playing a gay guy living with two women in California...dumb show but quite a social statement)

7) Sgt Friday from Dragnet

8) Sgt Phillip Freemason Esterhaus (Hill Street Blues)

Just a few ideas....  

By Blogger Counter Trey, at Tue Sep 06, 06:59:00 PM:

TH,
Prior to last year I had not watched TV shows for about ten years. That changed with House and Boston Legal, so I share your tastes.

Have you tried Arrested Development? It's not popular and was in danger of being cancelled, but I think it is the funniest show since Seinfeld.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?