<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Controversy in Salem, MA 

Some citizens are up in arms over the town's decision to erect a monument to the TV show 'Bewitched.'

The 9-foot tall bronze statue of sitcom character Samantha Stephens astride a broom, one of a series of sculpture nationwide proposed by TV Land cable network, is near where 20 people were sentenced to death during the witch hysteria of 1692.


Hey, I like Bewitched as much as the next guy, but a statue of Samantha trivializes the real history of Salem, and detracts from the romantic mythology that there actually were (and still are) witches there (putting aside the fact that Bewitched took place in Westport, CT, not Salem). Hey, I have some other ideas. How about statue of Hawkeye Pierce in the Korean DMZ? I'm sure someone could find a good place for this guy as well.

3 Comments:

By Blogger Chris, at Thu May 05, 02:25:00 PM:

There is a real witch in Salem. She has an office down by the waterfront. Her shingle says she is the official witch of Salem. I did not go in to verify this, as there was ice cream across the street.

A re-enactment of one of the pre-trial hearings hinted that land disputes may have been behind some of the early accusations. Interestingly, the audience participates in the hearing and votes on the defendant's guilt. According to the evidence and how it would have been seen at that time (spectral visions were allowed), I voted guilty and the defendant was remitted for trial.

When I was at the University of Illinois in the 80s, the head of the Chemistry department was Werner Klemperer. I passed that door hundreds of times, but never went inside. I rather enjoyed secretly supposing that he had embarked on a different career path after acting, and I didn't want that little dream destroyed.  

By Blogger Fire, at Thu May 05, 04:40:00 PM:

Chris? Are you talking about Laurie Cabbot? LOL Yeah, anyway, I think Salem should erect the Bewitched statue. It's purely a leftist pro-pagan cause and after all lefties love symbolism, so why not erect a fasle statue about a tv witch to show solidarity for a lame "religion"?

The irony is funny just by itself. :)  

By Blogger Chris, at Fri May 06, 03:36:00 PM:

Thanks, Viking, for the info on the Klemperers. I believe that you are correct, that the bonds of family and duty are not so strong as they once were. Truly a remarkable woman.

And yes, I knew it could not have been him. I just found it amusing.

I do not believe Laurie Cabot is a real witch. She only exhibits herself as one for the notereity. Don't you people recognize satire?  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?