<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 16, 2005

Chirac "did not need the cash" 

Saddam Hussein's spies planned a wide-ranging scheme to bribe members of the French political elite in the run-up to the Anglo-American invasion, including an offer to help fund President Jacques Chirac's 2002 re-election campaign.

That bid failed, according to Iraqi secret service papers seen by The Daily Telegraph, when Mr Chirac's aides allegedly said they did not need the cash.

Link.

This reminds me of the old economist joke:
An economist is chatting up a beautiful woman at a cocktail party.

"Would you sleep with me if I pay you a million dollars?" the economist asks the woman.

"Sure," says the hottie.

"Well, would you sleep with me if I paid you one dollar?"

Woman: "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

Economist: "We have established what kind of woman you are, and now we're trying to ascertain the clearing price."

We know what kind of woman Jacques Chirac is, too.

CWCID: Expat Yank.

2 Comments:

By Blogger John B. Chilton, at Mon May 16, 11:54:00 PM:

The role of the economist is often attributed to Winston Churchill. My brief google search didn't nail down whether he actually said it.

Google Search: "Winston Churchill" "established what kind of woman"  

By Blogger Sluggo, at Tue May 17, 11:12:00 AM:

I always thought it was Groucho:

http://learningtolovethelaw.blogspot.com/2005/04/haggling.html  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?