<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Insecurity in victory 

Twenty years ago I bought a used copy of B.H. Liddell Hart's classic military history, Strategy (actually, it was one of his many classics, Hart being perhaps the greatest military history of the three generations between Alfred Mahan and John Keegan) at the Strand Bookstore in New York. I didn't read it then, but I'm reading it now and am struck by the endurance of Hart's observations. Writing in 1954, Hart addressed a readership that was just coming to terms with the proliferation of atomic weapons. On the second page of the preface Hart just assumes into evidence the great post-war insecurity of the West:
No peace ever brought so little security and, after eight nerve-wracking years, the production of thermo-nuclear weapons has deepened the "victorious" peoples' sense of insecurity.

The West once again feels a great insecurity, even as its enemies -- al Qaeda and its affiliates -- are in strategic retreat. It is comforting to me, at least, to know that this insecurity is not a new feeling, but that our parents and grandparents suffered from it too. Perhaps it impelled them to stand up when necessary to guarantee the survival of government by the people.

3 Comments:

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Tue Mar 08, 10:05:00 PM:

Why doesn't it surprise me that you did?:)  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Wed Mar 09, 05:58:00 AM:

Patton, now's the time for a big TigerHawk confession, which I'm going to make here in the comment section and hope that nobody notices -- during my adolescence, which spanned most of the 1970s by some measure -- I was a "war gamer," which probably meant that I hung with different people than you did. This sparked an interest in military history in particular that persisted through college. Then law school intervened, life happened, History Ended, and I read very little military history again until after 9/11. So I have some catching up to do, since you forget a lot in 20 years.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Mar 09, 07:48:00 AM:

It doesn't surprise me a bit that you are a former war gamer, I know you guys, pouring over your maps until late in the night.

I remember the first time I played Diplomacy. Going by the name, I thought it would be a good idea to be polite and diplomatic. Within an hour I was being overrun by every other country in the world.

- Levi  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?