<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Called out by a Bangladeshi 

A few days ago I wrote about the time I almost died got really, really sick in Bangladesh. I wrote the post because I came across a fairly entertaining news story about how people in Bangladesh were flocking to see the country's first overpass. The story reminded me of my ill-fated visit there almost 20 years ago, which was entirely unintended and only happened because of a dubiously maintained aircraft.

Anyway, the blogosphere has called me out, although in a very polite way. It turns out that there is a fellow named Rezwan who writes an excellent English-language blog called the The 3rd World View. He makes a powerful case that I do not know whereof I speak.
Dear Mr. Jack, you do not know much about our history. Bangladesh, a relatively new country was liberated in 1971 from Pakistan through a bitter war which left 70 million free people in a fertile delta of only 56000 sq. mile. Most of the infrastructure (bridges, airports, roads) were destroyed by the Pakistan Army and Bangladesh has come this far without much help from others (of course there were some grants and loans from developed countries but not without conditions and interests) . We had to face natural disasters (like flood, cyclone) almost every year. You will be surprised to know about the courage and determination of the people of Bangladesh to start everything all over again and carry on with their dreams. You were liberated a couple of centuries ago and you have gone close to a welfare state only in this century. Give us at least a century to develop.

My only suggestion in return is that Bangladeshis give up on the idea that the development of a welfare state, at least in the 21st century sense of the term, is progress. It is resignation to failure. But that's a different rant.

Go spend a few minutes reading Rezwan, and learn about how a country is changing.

UPDATE: There is an update to the story about the first highway flyover in Bangladesh. Road rage comes to Bangladesh, which is surely a sign of progress! CWCID: Rezwan. Heh.

1 Comments:

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Thu Dec 09, 11:30:00 PM:

Indeed. He was actually very nice about it, considering my first post on Bangladesh. I've book marked him.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?