<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 11, 2004

They pulled the plug 

Arafat is dead. Or pronounced dead. It seems like they pulled the plug:
Neither his doctors nor Palestinian leaders would say what killed him.

Not surprisingly, TigerHawk is not a Muslim and does not know much about Islam, so I read this to mean that they pulled the plug. Having just returned from France where the press had been claiming for most of the last week that Arafat was more brain-dead than usual, I did not consider myself to be leaping to a conclusion here. Mrs. TigerHawk, however, says she read that Muslims do not talk about the deaths of specific people in clinical terms, either as a matter of religious requirement or culture. True?

In any case, Abu Mazen is now Chairman of the PLO. He appears to be somebody with whom the Israelis and the Americans can work, or at least he has seemed to be in the past. Here's to hoping that Bush pushes hard for a settlement with real stability.

1 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Nov 12, 04:42:00 PM:

At times like these, I am reminded of that beautiful line from a poem written by John Donne:

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; But some deaths diminish me less than others."

Or, something like that.

Hedge Fund Guy  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?