<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 29, 2008

Behind the UAE firewall 


We arrived in Dubai in the early afternoon and were met by a driver dispatched by our local distributor. All quite normal, except that the driver was allowed to drive out on the tarmac and pick us up right at the foot of the Emirates Airlines 777 that had brought us here. All the other passengers had to get on a bus and go to the terminal, but our new best friend drove us to a VIP lounge of some sort, took our passports and our baggage tags, instructed us to have something refreshing to drink, and returned 20 minutes later having accomplished all petty bureaucratic tasks. I could get used to that.

Anyway, this afternoon we changed into comfortable shoes and explored Dubai on foot and by bus, boat, and taxi. I took many fascinating pictures which I had hoped to share with you, but could not upload them to Flickr. It seems that the United Arab Emirates blocks Flickr for containing "prohibited content" under the country's Internet Access Management policy. I was surprised, but should not have been. Female modesty is very important in these parts.

Too bad. I had an excellent "mystery photo."


2 Comments:

By Blogger D.E. Cloutier, at Mon Sep 29, 12:18:00 PM:

"... accomplished all petty bureaucratic tasks. I could get used to that."

Welcome to my "world."  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Sep 30, 08:17:00 PM:

Dude,

Try www.collages.net. I can set you up with a free account!

Have a great trip.

- Crusader  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?