<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Foliage biking update 


Yes, I recognize that posts about my biking trip in the Adirondacks have limited appeal, but the readers who are interested, most of whom are my relatives, like the pictures and especially the proof of life they imply. So bear with me and regular blogging will resume shortly.

The weather was much nicer today, so we rolled from one of the scenic parking areas along route 30 south of Tupper Lake all the way to Long Lake, ate a delightful lunch in the Adirondack Hotel across the bridge, and back again. Approximately 27 miles over many hills in 100 minutes of riding time, so not too shabby in my book.

Herewith, pictures of the day from the ride and around our lake.

On the road south...

On the road from Tupper Lake to Long Lake

At the Adirondack Hotel, Long Lake, New York...

Lunch in the Adirondack Hotel, Long Lake

Route 30, between Long Lake and Tupper Lake, from the saddle of a bike

From the bridge over Raquette Flow

The view from our window, through our window...

Mt. Morris, from Big Wolf Lake

Adirondack light...

Lemon-lime

Big Wolf Lake, looking west into an October sunset

Taxidermy at sunset...

Taxidermy at sunset

The team...

Cycling fools


13 Comments:

By Anonymous Boludo Tejano, at Sun Oct 04, 12:31:00 AM:

That's a good road for bicycling. As you say, that bicycling rate is not shabby at all. My phrasing would be "not bad." That is beautiful country. In my childhood I took some multi-day canoe trips in that area. I still have a No Trespassing sign I stole from Whitney Park.  

By Anonymous Philip Sells, at Sun Oct 04, 01:43:00 AM:

Those are nice pics. Thanks. I've really never been up there in the park proper (just the Northway a couple of times), so this is a nice taster.  

By Blogger JPMcT, at Sun Oct 04, 07:18:00 AM:

Gorgeous pics. Almost time for a drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway down here in Virginia!  

By Anonymous tyree, at Sun Oct 04, 08:55:00 AM:

Here in Southern California our natural hillsides are brown all year except for when we get rain and the fuel for next years wildfires sprout forth. Those images made me wonder where you people back east put the water sprinklers for all of those trees!  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Oct 04, 12:02:00 PM:

The Road

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

-- J R R Tolkien  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Oct 04, 06:09:00 PM:

Hey TH,

Fellow native Iowa, attorney (graduate of U of I law school), and cyclist. I live in the Denver area. If ever you want to do some cycling in Colorado, give me a ping. We have great weather and beautiful scenery, but nothing is flat here.

Jed Caven
jedcaven@yahoo.com  

By Blogger Steve M. Galbraith, at Sun Oct 04, 06:17:00 PM:

Sweet.

"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain".

Not a big Matthews fans but I do like that line.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Oct 04, 06:18:00 PM:

Wonderful pitctures. Best of life to you, and thank you.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Oct 04, 08:51:00 PM:

Even in New England, where we're blessed with terrific geography, especially in October, these are great images so please keep the pics coming. Thanks for sharing,

John T.
Framingham, MA  

By Blogger Cardinalpark, at Mon Oct 05, 08:49:00 AM:

Hey hey, beautiful! As you know, I'm a very enthusiastic biker and that is some sweet terrain...  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Mon Oct 05, 10:16:00 AM:

CP, we're going to do it again next year. You are officially invited. First weekend in October, subject to confirmation with the rest of my family. Mrs. CP is, of course, also invited.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Oct 05, 03:11:00 PM:

I wonder where they shot that axis deer in the second photo?

Looks like they mounted it on a whitetail taxi form...does not look right.  

By Blogger Steve M. Galbraith, at Mon Oct 05, 05:52:00 PM:

Isn't it funny (odd?) that the first adjective we think of is "sweet"?

Neat.

Sweet.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?