<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Shopping at the shrine 


Ann Althouse was in a Borders in Madison yesterday evening at precisely the same time that we were in the Barnes & Noble in Princeton. Professor Althouse documents that her Borders was essentially a shrine to Barack Obama, yet curiously deserted at a time when it ought to have been otherwise. For what it is worth, the same was not true in Princeton last night. Yes, there was the same shrine -- I did not know that pictures would be valuable, so I cannot prove it, but trust me -- but the place was packed. Mrs. TH and I had an hour to kill waiting for the TH Daughter to emerge from a flick, and the only chairs we could find were at a table occupied by an unshaven, hunted looking lad who was leafing through books about sexually transmitted disease. Point is, college town to college town, I'm not sure there is a discernable trend.

CWCID: Glenn Reynolds.


4 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Jan 24, 04:36:00 PM:

Our local Borders has many ziggurat's full of Obama books, reaching skyward to proclaim the lightbringer, or something. I have no problem with President Obama, but some of his worshipers give me the creeps.

Are historians ever going to be able to grasp the reality of this age? President Obama got 35 times more coverage at his inauguration than President Bush. I was having a conversation with an Engineer recently who thought that Lincoln was a Democrat and the south was Republican during the Civil War. Are we ever gong to be able to pick up a book that describes this age accurately?  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Sat Jan 24, 04:48:00 PM:

Are we ever gong to be able to pick up a book that describes this age accurately?

In about 50 - 60 years.  

By Blogger Christopher Chambers, at Sat Jan 24, 05:14:00 PM:

Shrine to Obama? All I've seen are crap books on sale before they're remaindered (where you can get my stuff for $2) or Twilight.

Actually, I just got back from a film which, 50 years laters, give a pretty interesting take or explanation on "your" civilization: Revoluntionary Road. LOL

PS worth it not just for DiCaprio or Winslet, but Michael Shannon's mere ten minutes on screen. He's the only one who can deprive The Joker of his posthumous Oscar, and of course for folks like me, nicely comments on the American fantasy (not the American Dream). Oh, and he's a lunatic. A former math prof in the flick. suburbanites.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Jan 24, 10:07:00 PM:

occupied by an unshaven, hunted looking lad who was leafing through books about sexually transmitted disease.

Heh.

For what it's worth, my local magazine aisles, book stores, and drug stores are like a shrine to The One. I swear, I was in a Publix (southern food store) the other day and the aisle looked like a massive collage to Obama. I stopped counting the magazines and books about him around 11 or 12.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?