<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 15, 2008

Sitemeter rolls back 


Many bloggers, including yours truly, are at least a little obsessed with looking at their traffic. It is not so much the quantity of traffic that interests me, but where it is coming from, what it is reading, and where it is going. I have long used Sitemeter, which rolled out a big revision to their service over the weekend. It had some cool features, but those were outweighed by big problems. It was no longer easy to see referrels, "out clicks", or any data on my blackberry, which is the device I use to see what is happening on this blog. I was far from alone in my reaction, and within the space of one day Sitemeter had rolled back into its "classic" format.

Good for them -- listening to the customer is always the right first step. As an executive, though, I feel for them. It is obvious that somebody, probably a small team of somebodys, worked very hard on the design and transition of the new Sitemeter, only to have it fail miserably. That always hurts.


2 Comments:

By Blogger GreenmanTim, at Mon Sep 15, 01:46:00 PM:

New Coke '85, anyone?  

By Blogger Donna B., at Mon Sep 15, 02:34:00 PM:

Just what were those cool features? I seem to have completely missed them.

Yeah, I feel sorry for the people that pushed, designed, and failed to adequately beta test the new stuff, but not all that much.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?