<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 08, 2008

The internet megaphone 

In which our hero is once again entangled with a strung-out commenter.

Basically we have here a discussion of the "47 million uninsured" figure. I provided citations showing the various parts of this figure that make it inflated, the respondent refuses to read them because, even though they are government and academic studies, they are linked through a Cato page. I make some sport of the idea that having to click through Cato might give anyone the vapors and my 'interlocutor', as Megan would say, goes batshit. This is the third such exchange I've had with the rather volatile "Scent of Violets", all ending in epithets and summary dismissals (a la Glenn Greenwald - "I bid you good day!"). He/she/it reminds me of my son when he was 6 - he would point at kids 75 yards across the playground and say "they're being mean to me". He was shy, to say the least.

Even if this person is emotionally unbalanced, as appears likely, I think it would never have gotten to this point in person. I think the lack of visual and tone cues makes it much much easier for people to imagine they are being abused or made fun of. Truth is, for the last few posts I was just giggling as I typed.


Well, as they say, 90% of communication is non-verbal.

UPDATE: This prior thread is incredibly ironic, given the above. As is this, and this, in which SOV's "widdle feet"-fetish becomes clear. Not to mention "Buh-bye"

Then there's this and this.

Whoa - here's a bit of mud-slinging at Cafe Hayek. Insults flying freely with every post. If the guy who offers up a bio near the bottoms of the comment thread is right, this is one angry T.A. Stuart Buck calls him by that name as well.

At this point I'm just keeping this as a ScentOfViolets file cabinet.

Hmm. A simultaneous appearance?

UPDATE: This thread is a new lulu, including this recollection:
Rather large guy came at me on the diamond, despite repeated warnings to stay away, I picked up a bat which happened to be handy and got him whickety-whack across the shins. Whereupon he commenced to roll upon the ground, moaning something about me being a 'pussy', and to drop the bat and fight fair. I did, he started to jump to his feet, calling me a _f_dumbass, and when he was halfway up I kicked him right above his left eye with my steel-toed workboot. He didn't get up for a while.

Needless to say, _his_ story the next day was that I was a coward, and that I 'used weapons', and 'he was going to see that I got what I deserved'. Yeah, I was the bad guy. And of course, if I had gone mano-a-mano, I would have got the snot kicked out of me, and people would have come up and said that to my face, like it somehow had made me a lesser person, the girls would have giggled, etc.

The boy has temper problems.

Labels:


8 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Feb 08, 10:28:00 AM:

"tears on the keyboard"

eloi are such fragile creatures, you practically had the "guy" wetting himself. he reveals a lot about himself by the choice of epithets -- girly ones.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Feb 08, 11:30:00 AM:

I did _not_ dismiss them. I did not say, "Well, since Cato is using these people as a quote, they must be worthless." I didn't even look at them. As I said quite explicitly.

It was worth reading the exchange just to come across the above piece of distorted thinking.  

By Blogger Georg Felis, at Fri Feb 08, 02:15:00 PM:

Heck, a number of the commentators there seem to have wandered in with no more original ideas than "Bwaa, look at this social injustice! We ought to have the Government take it over, that will fix it."
I particularly liked the guy who was afraid of the Cato link like it might accidently give him Conservative Cooties. Still, most of the posters in that thread were at least marginally reasonable and probably would not score more than a dozen points on the Moonbat Quiz.

Education, web style  

By Blogger joated, at Fri Feb 08, 02:26:00 PM:

Perhaps we need a Moonbat-Implode-O-Meter? ;-)  

By Blogger Georg Felis, at Fri Feb 08, 02:29:00 PM:

Wouldn't work. They all implode (just with different explosive yield)  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Feb 08, 03:41:00 PM:

The guy who was afraid of getting cooties from the Cato link was the same one who a week before was demanding that we respect the authoritah of his Public Citizen link.  

By Blogger Steve Burri, at Fri Feb 08, 08:38:00 PM:

I ain't readin' this crap. It's written on Tigerhawk.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu May 15, 04:30:00 PM:

Well said, Mindles.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?