<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Victor Davis Hanson 

I haven't had much to say recently regarding foreign events, but those who have had occasion to read my blurbs on Tigerhawk or respond to my commentary can take comfort, or umbrage, that I haven't changed. I have been feeling very good recently about the movement of the large events, and confidently believe they are moving in the right direction. That may explain my silence. Plus, I've been busy at work. From Nasrallah's bleatings (and Hezbollah's beatings); to the laughable peeps from Iran and Venezuela's demagogues; to progress in Afghanistan and Iraq; to the Pope's and Archbishop's public comments on Islam; to the movement rightward on Continental Europe and the steadfastness of friends in Britain and Australia; and to the lack of any new 9/11s; I take heart in where we are, and where we are going.

Still, I have managed to keep pace with my reading of other's work, and was fortunate enough to come across Victor Davis Hanson's posting on Pajamas Media. Please read it all, from top to bottom. It reflects a great historian's deep factual knowledge applied to today's events, offered up with great writing skill. I agree with virtually everything in it, and could not hope to articulate it nearly as skillfully.

Enjoy.


4 Comments:

By Blogger Jason Pappas, at Wed Oct 04, 02:37:00 PM:

Thanks! VDH has a way of maintaining perspective amidst the shouting, whining, bitching, shriveling, or just plain traitorous pundits. Every word was worth the read.  

By Blogger Buce, at Wed Oct 04, 03:43:00 PM:

Tiger, do yourself a favor and hop off this pony before he crashes into a fence. VDH was once an interesting, ornery, dissenting historian, with a clever and arresting theory about the Pelopensian War (you can't pull up an olive tree). He gave one bracing speech in the immediate shadow of 9/11. Since then, he seems to have devoted himself to a program of 24/7 handwringing, and in the process to have forgotten exactly the history at which he was once so insightful.  

By Blogger skipsailing, at Wed Oct 04, 04:42:00 PM:

Well I followed the link and read the essay. As usual it was helpful.

I must respectfully disagree with Buce. Permit one example: It was VDH who, in his weekly NRO column first made me aware of the parallels between our era and the late '30's in europe.

this insight lead me to consider the concept of denial which in turn has provided me with much insight into the positions of the anti victory crowd.

VDH provides a valuable service by reminding us that much of what we currently experience is not actually new at all. by gaining an understanding of our historic antecedants we gain an understanding of the current situation.

Couple that with his clear, lucid writing and it's apparent to me that VDH is an important voice in our times.  

By Blogger cakreiz, at Thu Oct 05, 06:33:00 AM:

Other hopeful trends- Saudi's interior minister blasting radical Islamists: http://memri.org/bin/latestnews.cgi?ID=SD130506

In support of TH's argument that al-Qaeda, et al, will lose when they are rejected by other Muslims.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?