<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Middle-aged men and their cholesterol scores 


If you are a middle aged man who eats bacon at the breakfast buffet, you probably know what your cholesterol score is, and you also probably discuss it freely with other men. It has become a statistic about which we talk shop.

Now, my own aggregate cholesterol score has always been on the high side, even though I am -- or at least was -- in plausibly good shape for a desk-bound American male of my age. I have not worried about this. Indeed, I have been almost cocky. While high cholesterol runs in my family, we haven't had a lot of cardiovascular problems. With rare exceptions, in our family we either die too young from cancer or live into our 90s.

Nevertheless, when I tested at 252 in April my doctor recommended that I go on Vytorin. Notwithstanding my general reservations about permanent medication, I relented, partly because I know that statins may well have benefits that go far beyond the reduction of cholesterol scores.

Well, the impact on my cholesterol count has been very dramatic. After a month of taking Vytorin irregularly -- I am a bit of a slob when it comes to medicating myself, and probably only took the drug 20-25 times over 30 days -- my total cholesterol fell from 252 to 189. Frankly, I had no idea it would respond so quickly. Now I'm curious to take another cholesterol test. I need to know, after all, how low it can go.

UPDATED: To fix the spelling of "cholesterol." Sheesh.


4 Comments:

By Blogger cakreiz, at Thu Jul 06, 05:38:00 PM:

Fortunately, I've redefined myself outside of your analysis. Consider this. I'm merely 53, soon to be 54. But 50 is the new 30. So really I'm just 33, and therefore not middle-aged at all.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jul 06, 11:27:00 PM:

I assume someone has corrected your spelling of cholesterol.  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Fri Jul 07, 06:39:00 AM:

Actually, no. Sepllnig was never my strong suit. Thanks.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jul 07, 04:06:00 PM:

I'm not a doctor, (nor do I play one on TV), so I hesitate to send you this, but there is some evidence that not only is a high cholesterol level not necessarily bad for you, but taking statins might be.

As I say, IANAD, so follow the advice of your medical practitioner, but you might want to have a look at the other side of the story.

Cholesterol Myths  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?