<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Au blog citoyens! 

Until today, if you had asked me under what circumstances I would buy the French left-wing tabloid Liberation, I would have said none that I could imagine. However, no devoted blogger fail to buy today's edition:


Unfortunately, my "command" of French is such that I will need a dictionary to get to a decent understanding of most of the articles on the inside, which is just as well because I am fairly sure that their substance would subtract from my joy over the cover graphic. There is, however, an editorial on the inside that discusses the immense threat that bloggers pose to the established order. This much I understood (with apologies for the American character set):
Cette democratisation quasi sans limites de la liberte d'expression publique destabilise les entreprises, les ecoles, les notables locaux... -- sans parles des mollahs iraniens ou des commissaires politiques chinois, qui imposent a leurs blogueurs surveillance et censure.

The revolution is everywhere, even -- or especially -- France, which has more than 2,000,000 blogueurs according to current estimates.

1 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Jun 22, 09:26:00 AM:

It's notable -- and so unlike what one might expect of the language-proud French -- that they appear to have adopted the English word for our medium.

It could have been something like "netjourn" (short for "journal intime d'Internet") rather than blog.

But, then, the French have proven themselves capable, from time to time, of adopting a good word when they see it, even if it is an Americanism. Le weekend comes to mind.

Sissy
sisu  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?