<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 20, 2005

Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith 

I took the kids (2 boys, 10 and 6) to Opening Day yesterday at the Sony Imax theater. Let me offer 3 brief reactions:

1) My 10 year old - That was the best one yet! It was really cool and violent.

2) My 6 year old - Daddy, I'm scared, can I sit on your lap?

3) Me - 39 year old - It was a bit violent for my taste with my kids there. The actor playing Darth Vader was embarrassingly bad. I can't imagine what photos he has of George Lucas or something. It sounded like he was reading lines from a teleprompter, and angry looks on his face looked more like constipation than evil. Even Natalie Portman, who I think is a wonderful actress, was handed a bowlful of pits for lines rather than cherries. R2D2 and Yoda were the best. And they really wasted Jimmy Smits too, giving him almost no lines.

It was also a depressing storyline without any happiness at the end. There is a particularly evil scene as Skywalker moves to the Dark Side and attacks the Jedi that I thought demonstrated very poor judgment to show to kids, especially little ones. It's pretty much all bad news folks. Don't go to get happy. It won't happen -- unless you're in the mood for a divorce or something. And leave time for a stiff drink after.

Last point - Lucas does try to do some Anti Bush politicking. But it's basically inane and didn't ruin the show for me. Only one line is a blatant moonbat attack, and it's so stupid it's basically funny. Take it with a grain of salt. As I often comment at cocktail parties, why does anybody really care what a guy like George Lucas thinks anyway? He's such a freakin' expert on foreign affairs? Look at his movies -- they're always shooting at each other or hacking each other up, and the bad guys usually break even with the good guys. What, he's such a diplomat?

Not a great one, folks, in one person's humble view...

4 Comments:

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Fri May 20, 02:06:00 PM:

You're 39?

Actually, as I recall Lucas "warned" his potential audience a few months back that this episode was not going to be so appropriate for little kids. Sounds like he is right.

We're going tonight, after a sumptuous meal at the Princeton MarketFair food court.  

By Blogger Cardinalpark, at Fri May 20, 03:14:00 PM:

does that make me younger or older than you thought?  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Fri May 20, 03:32:00 PM:

Actually, I remember that we are about four years apart. I forgot how old I was.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Jun 25, 09:47:00 PM:

come on corn  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?