<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

"No to Baathism and Wahhabism!" 

More than 2,000 people held the impromptu demonstration on front of the clinic [the site of the Hillah car-bombing - ed.], chanting "No to terrorism!" and "No to Baathism and Wahhabism!"

Wahhabism is a reference to adherents of the strict form of Sunni Islam preached by Osama bin Laden, while the Baath party was the political organization that ran Iraq under Saddam Hussein.

There were no reports of "Death to America" or even "America out of Iraq." Just rank-and-file Shia who see nothing inconsistent about blaming both Ba'athists and Wahhabis, the sect that inspires al Qaeda.

3 Comments:

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Tue Mar 01, 05:02:00 PM:

Viking kaj, excellent comment! I'm desperately curious to know what it was you deleted!  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Mar 01, 10:25:00 PM:

I haven't seen any blather yet, in any post from viking kaj. I agree completely with his analysis of this problem. This was what I meant in my post on the earlier thread when I said that it all seems morally complicated to me. vk explained it far better than I was able to.

- Levi  

By Blogger TigerHawk, at Tue Mar 01, 11:08:00 PM:

Viking kaj is definitely an interesting dude. And he's at least as much "viking" as "kaj."  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?