Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The annual Garcia y Vega cigar


I am in Chicago and tired, but did not want to hit the hay without reporting to those interested that I have just stepped outside the Michigan Avenue Hilton and smoked my annual Garcia y Vega cigar. Why, you might ask, do I chew on such a manifestly shitty cigar ever, much less once a year on All Saint's Day? Because my father smoked Garcia y Vegas, today is his birthday, and this is the way I remember him. Some say that smell is our most evocative sense. I don't know, but when I smoke Garcia y Vegas, I remember my dad.

He was a great father, husband, historian, librarian and gardener. He taught me many things, including that there are some things worth fighting for. I miss him every day.

3 comments:

  1. He's looking down and smoking one in your honor about now, I know for sure. How proud he must be of what has become of that little boy on the arm of his chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be clear, the boy in the picture is my son, then about two. Now he's fourteen.

    While I had fairly blond hair as a lad, he has the advantage of a Norwegian grandfather on his mother's side.

    ReplyDelete